Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais boot light problem

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
I hope this hasn't already been asked, I have searched but had no luck. Didn't know whether to put this here or electrical and wiring.

I have a VZ Calais and the boot light only turns itself on sometimes. If you open the boot it doesn't turn on so you have to kind of shake it - open/close/open/close before it will come on and sometimes that doesn't work.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Think it is better to do it myself rather than take it to Holden. How do the door switches work and where are they? Maybe that has slipped a bit and just needs adjusting..? All other lights work and with the doors.

Thanks.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Have u checked the wiring to the boot light??

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I hope this hasn't already been asked, I have searched but had no luck. Didn't know whether to put this here or electrical and wiring.

I have a VZ Calais and the boot light only turns itself on sometimes. If you open the boot it doesn't turn on so you have to kind of shake it - open/close/open/close before it will come on and sometimes that doesn't work.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Think it is better to do it myself rather than take it to Holden. How do the door switches work and where are they? Maybe that has slipped a bit and just needs adjusting..? All other lights work and with the doors.

Thanks.

Hi Brad

The boot light wiring circuit is very simple. The switch is located in the boot lid, directly below the Calais badge on the inside edge. The switch might not be earthing correctly. Unscrew the retaining screw, remove the switch and clean the contacts on the switch and the boot lid.

Then check to see if the globe is loose in the lamp holder - this can happen and it prevents the current passing through the globe. Unclip the lens, remove the globe, close the contacts up a little bit, clean both ends of the globe and re-fit it to the lamp.

If you still have the same problem, check the wiring through the boot lid into the boot fordamage or abrasion signs which could indicate a damaged wire.

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
Thank you very much Calaber!
It was the carpet on the boot lid preventing the switch from fully retracting. I adjusted the carpet slightly out of the way of the switch and now it works like new.

Such a simple thing, as soon as I knew where the switch was it was obvious what was wrong.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hadn't thought about the boot carpet doing that - my Berlina lacks the carpet (for the moment).

Glad it worked out for you.