Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais Climate Control Fan Noise

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I've had my 2005 VZ Calais for about 6 months (which I bought from a Holden dealer in the city). Since then it has developed what would best be described as a chattering noise in the passengers footwell which I believe is the sound of something in the fan for the climate control. I beleive this because when it starts, if I change the fan speed it changes and if I turn the climate control off or lower the fan speed heaps it goes away. It's not there all the time, probably 50% of the time.

So I guess what my question is: Is the fan for the climate control located somewhere in the passenger footwell (thereby confirming my suspiciion)? And then my next question is, if the fan is where I think it is, how do I get to it to remove whatever it is from the blades of the fan (coz I think it's something in the fan as it's not there all the time, like it would if it was a bearing or something similar)?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
is the car under a warrenty, because you bought it from holden it should unless youve broken the terms, get them to look first,

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
is the car under a warrenty, because you bought it from holden it should unless youve broken the terms, get them to look first,

It's out of new car warranty but it's under used car warranty. Not sure if that covers it...?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's out of new car warranty but it's under used car warranty. Not sure if that covers it...?

give it a try it should, you can only ask before you oull apart and pay for it

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
give it a try it should, you can only ask before you oull apart and pay for it

Fair point! Conveniently (well not really) a whole bunch of water got in over the weekend (down the back of the dash) and mucked up a couple of the electronic systems (just small things like ABS, ESP, and the airbags) so it went back to Holden last night for them to get all of that sorted, and while I was at it I told em to sort the fan. They didn't say no so fingers crossed :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair point! Conveniently (well not really) a whole bunch of water got in over the weekend (down the back of the dash) and mucked up a couple of the electronic systems (just small things like ABS, ESP, and the airbags) so it went back to Holden last night for them to get all of that sorted, and while I was at it I told em to sort the fan. They didn't say no so fingers crossed :)

thats bad luck, how did the water get in?

whitey5759

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
thats bad luck, how did the water get in?

Not sure exactly but basically it rained all weekend and I think the front water well in front of the windscreen filled up, and then overflowed.

Some seal must not have been doing it's job, so water ran down the inner right hand side of the dash (down near the bonnet release handle) and onto the carpet and also it pooled in trim panel that covers up the fuse box and stuff under the steering wheel (which also meant that I got wet feet when i took the first corner, and all the water ran off the trim panel back and onto my foot!).

Simply problem, which is gonna cost Holden coz I think they are going to have to replace one of the comps.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Hey mate I know this thread is 6 months old, but was wondering if you managed to solve the problem. Im having similar issues with my SV6!

Thanks,