Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz calais electric seat module

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
so i have had a v6 vz calais for 3 months now.
the last problem i have to fix is electric mirrors not working and electric drivers seat top section will not move nor memory positions work . the rest of the seat functions seem to work on manual though
i have swapped mirror switches but mirrors still didnt work.
i noticed the previous owner had remover the drivers side electric mirror plug and taped it up. so i reconnected it and still no electric mirrors working.
i do have power to the switches and to the mirrors though.
i have googled and found out that it may be my electric seat module.
does anyone have any experience with this problem?
tia

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the last problem i have to fix is
all text underlined
that is hard to read
if you have power to the mirrors, do you have grounds, if you do then the mirror is faulty

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
all text underlined
that is hard to read
if you have power to the mirrors, do you have grounds, if you do then the mirror is faulty
power to the mirrors but the circuitry runs through the seat memory so the mirrors don't work even on manual

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
The tech2 will show you everything about the seat, memory module, mirrors and memory mirror module if u can get access to one. Your recline motor could be rooted or the connector could be damaged, not too hard to inspect but will require removal of map pocket. Where are you located? Someone with a tech2 maybe close by

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just pulled up a wiring diagram
there is power, brown wire, ground, purple wire, and serial data, grey wire, to each item,
the memory module tells each thing what to do
at the memory module, red wire is always 12v, red/blue is ign 12v, black is ground, black/orange is ground
without a tech 2 i dont think you can diagnose
or keep firing the parts cannon

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
The tech2 will show you everything about the seat, memory module, mirrors and memory mirror module if u can get access to one. Your recline motor could be rooted or the connector could be damaged, not too hard to inspect but will require removal of map pocket. Where are you located? Someone with a tech2 maybe close by
im in adelaide south. i am more than happy to pay someone to diagnose and fix it.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Ok, I’m in Melb but hopefully another local can chime in who has access to one. As lout said I believe a tech2 is pretty much a must unless you are handy with a circuit/continuity tester. If u can explain what does and doesn’t work I’d be happy to assist, you mentioned something was unplugged by previous owner can you explain exactly what please. Also can you inspect the mirror module under the drivers door trim. It’s just a circuit board that runs both left and right mirrors, it also sends the commands for heater and dipping function. Can you check that it’s plugged in and doesn’t look like it’s water damaged or burnt, it’ll be covered in a grey foam

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, I’m in Melb but hopefully another local can chime in who has access to one. As lout said I believe a tech2 is pretty much a must unless you are handy with a circuit/continuity tester. If u can explain what does and doesn’t work I’d be happy to assist, you mentioned something was unplugged by previous owner can you explain exactly what please. Also can you inspect the mirror module under the drivers door trim. It’s just a circuit board that runs both left and right mirrors, it also sends the commands for heater and dipping function. Can you check that it’s plugged in and doesn’t look like it’s water damaged or burnt, it’ll be covered in a grey foam
yeah i plan on getting a tech2 soon. kinda want to get deeper into commodores first.
electric mirrors do not work. fuses are ok, switch is ok. the plug that joins to the drivers mirror was found to be unplugged from the mirror and taped upas not to be used. the mirror module is there (under drivers door trim) and appears to be good condition. checked with voltage metre and had high and low voltage coming from pins (one was 12.5v and the rest were 2.0v)
all the mirrors are now connected up and getting continuous power from the mirror plugs (12.5v from two of the 3 pins) and no voltage changes when the mirror switch is used.
electric seats work on manual forward/back, tilt, up down but the back rest does not work at all. when i move the back rest lever, the little green light dims which tells me the switch is working.
none of the memory buttons work... they chime but nothing ever moves
if you were to recommend a good tech 2 scanner to buy, which would you pick?

Last edited:

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Ok wicked seems like you have a decent clue on how to trouble shoot. The memory mirrors have a chip inside them the the stock mirrors dont, it’s called a MSDB not that the name matters. It receives its commands from the seat module as you’ve said, the module on the door allows the use of the standard switch which sends power down certain circuits to the seat module instead of straight to the mirrors. It’ll be 12v and 0v depending on what you press. The MSDB will receive 0-5v in pulses, you should test the serial data line to see if it varies when u use the mirror switch. When you said 2 wires are constant 2v that to me seems like an earth issue because one wire should be 0v, UART is a single wire communication protocol, unlike CAN which has CAN HI and CAN LO in a twisted pair of wires. I’m starting to think one of your mirrors has been replaced by a non memory mirror which would be screwing with the serial data line. Again hard to confirm considering they look the same and even have the same wires coming out of them.
I have a set of both in front of me and the only thing different apart from part numbers is that I can see the heated mirror wire inside the memory mirrors, you would need to remove the mirror assembly from your car to see it, it’s just inside the lower corner closest to the door, there’s a cut out there for mirror glass removal, maybe worth a shot?
I’d suggest unplugging both mirrors and checking that serial data line for variations in voltage as you changing positions with the mirror switch

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Now your recline motor, that was good you noticed the led dim which would suggest that the motor has actually seized up but I wouldn’t change it till you confirm the memory module is fine. Changing that motor is an annoying job that most people wouldn’t even attempt but if it’s comes to that I’ll walk you thru it. I bought a Chinese tech2 from AliExpress about 2 years ago, I use it heaps and has never had an issue except it doesn’t like being left in the sun, the lcd screen craps out when I do. On AliExpress they are $330 with all the cables, to get the storage case is $450. For me it’s an extremely cheap scantool but limited to only some Holden models, it does a lot my $7k snapon scantool cant but has a dated GUI.
Your cheaper options would be to just bite the bullet and buy a new module if they are available, I think they weren’t much over 100 a couple of years ago so probably 300 now. A second hand one, check for a Ford Territory if you want to save money, same supplier as the Holden and same pinout.
The last alternative would be to buy an ALDL cable and use a computer to get the DTCs from the module using a command line type application. They cost less than 100 and can be used to speak to pretty much every module in your car besides engine stuff, if you decide this route let me know and I’ll teach you how. I might even check the Holden PDF to see how to do the diagnostics on the seat for you shortly I believe it tells you the DTCs with beeps, pauses and flashes of the LED. Most modules have a similar thing like ABS and reverse sensor modules

Reactions: Lex