Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais - FAULTY REVERSE PARKING SENSORS!?

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Hey guys/girls names Khoder, i'm new to this forum and was hoping to get bit of help. I recently bought myself a VZ Calais which i absolutely love but i'm having problems with the reverse parking sensors, they don't work. I've read somewhere that when you put the car into reverse it should beep notifying you that it's in reverse and if you wave your hand in front of them it should beep, mine doesn't beep at all. I'm thinking it may be a faulty module or wiring? also is this a common problem with the vz calais? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Do you have a tow bar or was a tow bar ever fitted?

If so, look behind the boot lining behind the petrol cap & you will see a plug that they disconnect when towing, to prevent the reversing park assist (RPA) beeping incessantly whilst reversing your trailer.

I think it's a black & white plug but haven't looked for five years ....

Otherwise, might be a fuse or faulty RPA if it's never towed.

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Hey Trent,
I do have a towbar fitted and by the looks of the towbar it was used a few times...
so it makes sence that they may have been disconnected, don't know why i didnt pick that up! Thanks for your help mate will have a look tonight and update. Cheers!

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Ahh! your a legend Trent! Was disconnected (white wire that plugs into a black wire)
Works perfectly, Thanks for your help mate! Greatly appreciated!

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
Hi Khoder - I also have a VZ Calais that I fitted a genuine towbar to back in 2006. I've been attempting to attach the fitting instructions on here for you to use but can't get the file size down small enough for it to accept.

According to the instructions the Black lead from the car's body harness should be disconnected and taped back not to be used. The reason for this is to give you an increased distance for the continuous alarm sound to account for the towbar tongue being attached (45 cm instead of 30cm). The white lead coming from the body harness (which has a 1 pin black plastic female connector socket) should connect to the grey lead coming from the trailer wiring harness.

What you should have when the job is completed if correctly wired (and that's assuming your vehicle has been fitted with a genuine trailer wiring harness) is the two multi-pinned connectors from the trailer harness connected into the vehicle body harness, the yellow lead from the trailer harness connected to the light blue lead in the vehicle body harness and the grey lead from the trailer harness connected to the white lead coming from the vehicle body harness. All of the Black, Black/Blue, and Light Green coloured wires (three in total) coming from the body wiring harness should be taped back unused (ie: with nothing connected into them).

If yours is working with the white lead attached to the black as you've said, I'd be careful about the warning distance with the towbar tongue attached as you may hit something if not careful.

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help and useful information...
My VZ Calais has been fitted with a Hayman Reece towbar although i'm not too sure if it has been fitted with a genuine wiring harness or not. I just had another quick look at it and there are 3 single pin connections which 2 of the 3 were connected. First connection (closet to the petrol cap) has a black wire connecting to a light green wire, second connection (which was the disconnected one) has an off-white coloured wire connected to a black with a blue pinstrip wire, the third connection (closet to the taillight) has a light blue wire connecting to a yellow wire. All i did was connect the off-white wire to the black blue pinstirped and they worked. There are no other spare connections that i could connect the off-white wire to. I'll do some tests on the distance soon just to make sure they're working correctly and update.

Thanks for your help once again.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
Hi again Khoder.

From what you've said in above response you've got the third connection correct (Light Blue from body harness connected to yellow from trailer harness).
I've checked my trailer harness and can verify the following for you:-
. GMH Part number is 92144494 (there is a label attached just near the end of the yellow wire which, by the way, has red squares dotted along it);
. There is a grey coloured cable (about half the thickness of the other cables) coming out of the trailer wiring loom and it has a black plastic single female connector attached to it. This is the one that should plug into the white lead (with the black plastic male connector) from the body harness.
. Definitely the body wiring harness wires coloured Black, Black with Blue tracer, and Light Green (each of them with single connectors) should each be not connected to any other wires.

The Lumen 7 pin flat socket which is fitted to the trailer wiring harness actually has 9 connector points inside the screwed-on cover (where the wiring connection is done - not where the trailer coupling plugs into under the hinged cover flap). The additional two connection points are wired one with the grey wire (next to the green wire) and the other has a siamesed connection to the white wire (comes from between the black and the blue wires). Reason for the extra two connections is to connect the Lumen plug's internal reed switch to the wiring harness to give a signal to the BCM that a trailer is connected and hence don't send reverse alarm signals because a trailer is attached. Otherwise you'd get the alarm beeping whenever you engaged reverse with a trailer attached.

I think it may be beneficial for you to have a close look for the thin grey wire coming out of the trailer loom and connect it to the white lead from the body loom (and, of course, to leave unplugged the black and the light green and the black with blue tracer).

Hope this helps get it all working as it should.