Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais overheating on acceleration!

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Hey guys

I've been having a bit of trouble with the cooling system of my VZ Calais (alloytec190) couple months after buying it. I have replaced the radiator cap as I found it was snapped which led to me thinking it was the cause of the overheating, so I flushed the whole system and filled it with water only for testing purposes for a couple days and had no problems with overheating so I flushed the system once again and filled it up with measure of 50% coolant 50% water (purchased from Holden red coloured coolant) and let it run without the cap to bleed the system of any air pockets (also used the bleeding screw on the top left hand of the radiator). It ran well for a couple weeks (needle just over 1/4) then I noticed a slight increase in temperature which the needle reached just over half way. Yesterday on my way back from work on acceleration the heat needle shot up to 3/4 and went back down to just over 1/4 when I let go of the accelerator.. does not overheat on idle sits just above 1/4...it's really frustrating me real worried it may cause some damage! Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
I was thinking that too but it only happens occasionally and since the thermostat is a bitch to get to I wana leave that to last wanna make sure it actually is it before I go through all that labour for nothing... also today on the way from and to work it didn't budge any higher then just above 1/4 but then again it wasn't as warm today as it was yesterday... really hope someone can enlighten me with some help!

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have what I think is a similar issue, and wondering if you got it resolved.

We are having the engine temp warning alarm go off sometimes (happened a few times now over the last couple of weeks...before that, not for about a year), either if we are sitting in stop-start traffic (yay, Sydney), or even the other night I went up the road to get pizza, and just as I was about to get home (like 500m), the alarm went off with the needle up in the red. I turned into my street, and pulled over outside my house. Sitting there idling (still in drive I think), the needle came down. Took about 10 seconds all up, and came douwn a bit, paused, came down some more, paused, and came down again.

My wife had it happen to her again today, and we suspect it especially happens after acceleration (for me, I had just driven up a small hill and was coming down the other side).

It is just bizarre. And it sucks that the alloytec is such a stupid engine to work on - was it designed to keep machanics employed?

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have what I think is a similar issue, and wondering if you got it resolved.

We are having the engine temp warning alarm go off sometimes (happened a few times now over the last couple of weeks...before that, not for about a year), either if we are sitting in stop-start traffic (yay, Sydney), or even the other night I went up the road to get pizza, and just as I was about to get home (like 500m), the alarm went off with the needle up in the red. I turned into my street, and pulled over outside my house. Sitting there idling (still in drive I think), the needle came down. Took about 10 seconds all up, and came douwn a bit, paused, came down some more, paused, and came down again.

My wife had it happen to her again today, and we suspect it especially happens after acceleration (for me, I had just driven up a small hill and was coming down the other side).

It is just bizarre. And it sucks that the alloytec is such a stupid engine to work on - was it designed to keep machanics employed?

I suspect either your radiator cap or water pump is shot... Fixed mine by changing the radiator cap as it was literally snapped in half! Fixed my problem for a couple of weeks untill the weather got warm. Realised the water pump was leaking and changed that the as soon as i could. Although i think i might need a new pump again as its not holding any coolant under the radiator cap when cold... Anyone know if this is caused from a faulty water pump?

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Radiator cap was recently replaced...

I just went out and checked it as my wife needs to go out tonight. I took off the radiator cap, and there was no liquid visible. I filled it up. I then started the engine, and got a few bubbles come out, but nothing significant. I undid the bleed screw, and suddenly the water I put in the radiator cap hole disappeared. I kept topping up, until coolant was coming out of the bleed hole. I then screwed in bleed screw and topped of radiator cap hole and put on cap.

I guess we'll see. But it definitely looks like a lot of air was in the system that's for sure. I put water into the overflow as well, as I think that was low.

VZCALAIS190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Barbados Mica VZ Calais
More then likely your water pumps shot... look for coolant stains on the sump. They're a constant problem in the alloytecs!

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
When my water pump went it overheated when in traffic but was fine under acceleration ect.

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
More then likely your water pumps shot...
oh, just great ... this will be the last holden I will probably ever have ... I know all manufacturers have their problems, but this engine design just sucks