Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais Rear Shock Absorbers

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
One of my rear shocks has decided the seize tonight, shall be replacing both tomorrow. I've replaced shocks and all that before, shouldn't be a big job.

I had a look at the rear shocks and noticed that there is a little hose coming out of them. What's the go with this? I've had a look at the Monroe catalog and found nothing that matches.

Are standard shocks only available for this model?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
It sounds like you have air shocks fitted or as Holden call it self leveling suspension.
Unfortunately they use different air line connection to Monroe pump up shocks so you'll most likely have to get them direct from Holden.
My senator had them and they were the first thing I tossed away as the shock inside the air bag is pretty poor.
Now have Koni's along with Poly air bags if I need to carry weight and don't want the tail dragging.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
The pneumatic self-levellers *are* a little rough.
Unless you are regularly towing or carrying heavy loads in the back (or even then), you may wish to just replace them with something decent.
You'll need to disconnect / remove the compressor - it does have after-market value.

I kept mine on my Adventra, mainly because I have raised suspension, and occasionally do towing, and I've hacked the connecting rod so that I can use them to adjust the ride height in a crude fashion.

If I had the money, knowing what I know now, I'd probably have done as Surfwagon did. :)

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Appreciate it guys. So would I be able to just install ordinary shocks to suit a VZ?

Is it a simple disconnect and tuck the line out of the way? I don't do any towing or any of the sort, just a commuter car.

EDIT: I've done a bit of reading and have read that I will need new springs as well if I remove the air suspension. Is this correct? I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to but I'm taking the car to Melbourne on Friday so need it in good condition.

Last edited:

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I never changed my springs until recently because I wanted the car a little lower.
If you are leaving the compressor in place make sure you disconnect electricals and tape the open connections water tight.
Also if can afford fit a quality shock like Koni or Bilstien, otherwise Monroe GT GAS or Sensatrac are ok with stock springs.
Don't fit Monroe GT Sports as theyt have a soft bump setting so the car will drop easily coming speed humps etc.
The Sports are setup to give stiff lowered springs a softer feel.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I never changed my springs until recently because I wanted the car a little lower.
If you are leaving the compressor in place make sure you disconnect electricals and tape the open connections water tight.
Also if can afford fit a quality shock like Koni or Bilstien, otherwise Monroe GT GAS or Sensatrac are ok with stock springs.
Don't fit Monroe GT Sports as theyt have a soft bump setting so the car will drop easily coming speed humps etc.
The Sports are setup to give stiff lowered springs a softer feel.

Thanks for your help surfwagon, I appreciate it.

I managed to get some Monroe gt gas shocks for $150. 20% off at the moment you ripper!

I shall keep what you said in mind about the electrical connections, I'll also pull the fuse aswell.

Thanks all!