Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz cats shagged out , options ?

deanos70

Reaction score
The cats on my Sv6 190 Kw are rattling like and old tin can being kicked down the street, has anyone used the aftermarket ones before like in the picture ( $690 ) ? mine also has a resonator which i would have to get welded in later, Its only a run around car i dont want to go extractors etc. The 2nd pic is of the same type of the ones on the car with the resonators

Any other suggestions

Attachments

• vz cat.jpg
    vz cat.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 74
  • vz cat 2 .jpg
    vz cat 2 .jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 74

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Without knowing were you are located, it would be difficult for any JC Member to advise where to look,
but
Try a Wreckers ?
Facebook Market Place ?,
Gumtree ?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If its just the cats, then have a chat with an exhaust shop, should be able to get a straight swap like for like.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Check all sections of the exhaust first before replacing them. I found a chunk of cat in the rear muffler, by removing each section and shacking each one.
I checked the cats with an extendible inspection mirror.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Cat’s don’t just fail as they are a catalyst which means that in the absence of impact damage, oil, coolant, or excess fuel in your exhaust, the catalyst will last forever :cool:

Take note for the cats to fail, there are potentially issues that may go beyond simple impact damage which you ay need to address before replacement. Failing to address such issues (like coolant leak into exhaust, burning excessive oil or faulty injectors resulting in fuel in the exhaust) may result in you having the same issue occurring again.

So just a heads up for you to consider ;)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just cut them out clear the debris and weld them back on.
Reality is no one cares.

H

harrop.senator

Don't go extractors n hi flows makes them either really loud or just increases the disgusting sound waves.

I couldn't believe the sound when I fitted in them and have been chasing it out since lol.

I wouldn't go with the $690 option either.

I'd personally buy some cheap euro 4's off eBay they'll be no or not much worse then those. Go pay the local muffler Shop an hour's labour to recip saw the stock ones out , bang on the pipe listening for debris and if clear welding the new ones back in with a bend to be on the flat side.