Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ centre bearing

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
From the day I bought my vz it's had a shudder when taking off, i put this down to a bad centre bearing, and thought I'd just leave it until I can afford to have it done, but however yesterday it has completely gave in on me (guessing the the rubber is completely cooked)
You can hear it rattle around while driving, i was thinking about putting the car up on ramps and pulling the shaft out and doing it myself to save a little money, was just wondering if there is s guide anywhere on how to do this correctly, or how much roughly it'd cost to take it to a mechanic

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
take it to a shop mate

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Time you pay to have a new one fixed your better off getting a good secondhand one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Time you pay to have a new one fixed your better off getting a good secondhand one.
Really? I paid $100 labor to have a new bearing and two greasable unis fitted. The likelihood of finding a good one is buckleys and none. I assume you know where to find a good one, even though the cars he can look at will be 15 years old?

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I got quoted $245 by my local mechanic.
Turns out the noise I was hearin wasn't the tailshaft, it was my drivers side rear shock absorber, the bolt somehow come lose and fell out on the road somewhere, and the shock is hanging down and is making a noise, which sounds like metal on metal, hence why I thought the centre bearing..
I have ordered a new bolt, and it will not be going back on the road until it's fixed.
However I will book in soon and have the centre bearing done.
Thank you everyone

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Really? I paid $100 labor to have a new bearing and two greasable unis fitted. The likelihood of finding a good one is buckleys and none. I assume you know where to find a good one, even though the cars he can look at will be 15 years old?
I replaced my own non-greaseable with greaseable uni-joints on both ends of my tail shaft costing me $0.00 in labor, center bearing still good.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I got quoted $245 by my local mechanic.
Turns out the noise I was hearin wasn't the tailshaft, it was my drivers side rear shock absorber, the bolt somehow come lose and fell out on the road somewhere, and the shock is hanging down and is making a noise, which sounds like metal on metal, hence why I thought the centre bearing..
I have ordered a new bolt, and it will not be going back on the road until it's fixed.
However I will book in soon and have the centre bearing done.
Thank you everyone
Torque on the nut should be between 105-125Nm.

Scallywahg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz thunder
The last two commodores i've bought have had the same issue with the centre bearing. First one I split myself and replaced, which wasn't easy splitting so the second one I dropped myself and took it into the local and they split it for me($120). If doing it yourself be sure to draw a straight line on both shafts so when you reconnect the spline goes back in the same way