Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 'Check Powertrain' Need some ideas....

Mattp16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hi,

a few months ago a 'Check Powertrain' light appeared on my Calais.

I had it looked at by a Mechanic who said that it was the 'Evap purge valve/solanoid' Needs replacing. After hunting a new one down, i replaced it and the light was still on.
I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion, he told me that it was my O2 sensors and all 4 needed to be replaced at a cost of $1200!

I didn't run out and replace them at that cost, so i got a 3rd opinion.

He told me My ECU was on its way out and needed to be replaced at a cost of $2000!

Who do i listen to? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

The car still runs fine and has just had it's 135,000km service.

Cheers

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi,

a few months ago a 'Check Powertrain' light appeared on my Calais.

I had it looked at by a Mechanic who said that it was the 'Evap purge valve/solanoid' Needs replacing. After hunting a new one down, i replaced it and the light was still on.
I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion, he told me that it was my O2 sensors and all 4 needed to be replaced at a cost of $1200!

I didn't run out and replace them at that cost, so i got a 3rd opinion.

He told me My ECU was on its way out and needed to be replaced at a cost of $2000!

Who do i listen to? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

The car still runs fine and has just had it's 135,000km service.

Cheers

Matt, I would at this point in time take it to Holden. Let them get it on the Tech2 - and then you will at least be on the right track.

Best of luck getting it sorted
Blake

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
assuming its a v6? i've read that oil pressure switch can give this error, as can faulty ECU.
the oil pressure switch is cheap and takes 5 mins to swap so might be worth a shot.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
OEM oxygen sensors can be bought off eBay for about $125 each. They are very easy to replace yourself but you need to make sure you get the right ones. Electrical plugs are different on some models.

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
i just came back from a mechanic and whatever he did fixed the problem. and it's different problem compared to yours. I think you best bring it to a holden service shop after 3 different opinions.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
There's about 100 different things that can cause a check engine, go get the code read and post it up. Stop guessing at **** that needs looking at by someone who has some idea. Evap purge solenoids are common, ECUs are common, oil pressure switches are common but it might even be something uncommon.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My VZ Holden Owner Manual (Blue Book) says a Check Powertrain warning is to do with emission control related faults.

Looked at my Haynes Manual #41743 Powertrain DTCs start with Pxxxx. The working range is P0008 to P2770
The codes can virtually cover the whole engine with all of its internal and external supporting elements, transmission, AirCon, ECU and TCM.

The Tech2 is the best tool to review the car's performance.

I have précised the components which can trigger a P series DTC all of which which I presume brings up the "Check Powertrain" message in the dash..

Looks like the works!

Some items are - O2 sensors, Throttle body, MAF, IAT, atmospheric pressure, engine coolant, TPS, Engine oil temp, transmission fluid temp, fuel injectors, knock sensors, Crankshaft and camshaft positioners - actuators, Purge valve, Ignition Coils, Oil Pressure switch, AC Pressure, Cruise control, brakes, ECU and TCM, system voltages and the alternator is also in there, somewhere I think.

Our members have suggested the oil pressure switch, source of O2 sensors, you've replaced the evap. purge valve solenoid. There is a long "guess" list.
Hope you find the fault with the Tech2 search.

Last edited:

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Matt,

As others have suggested get a scan done first for the error codes, otherwise there could be a lot of guesswork and time and money wasted. I once had the "check powertrain" message come up, had a scan done and it turned out to be a fuel injector which it doesn't sound like it is the case with your car as mine was running very rough at the time.