Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Clock Spring Replacement

rebecca22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hello. I need to replace the Clock Spring in my Steering Column (I damaged the old one). Is it difficult? Does anyone know the procedure. I can remove the airbag and wheel ok.
Thanks
'bec

Burto89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ S-Pack Ute
Hey bec, once you get your wheel and airbag off its quite simple. you need to remove the steering column covers top pull towards you and up. The bottom cover has one screw at the back i dropped my fuse panel to get to it. once they are gone you should see the conection to the clock spring go ahead and unplug it. then you will need a torx set to undo the old spring. Once that is done its the reverse to replace :)

Burto89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ S-Pack Ute
Oh also you need take make sure your new clock spring is centred otherwise when you turn your wheel you will snap the new one! Try locking your wheels fully to the right before you start, then mark the wheel to the steering column with a pen so you can put the wheel back on straight. once wheel is off wind the new clock spring all the way to the right untill you feel it get tight (DONT FORCE IT) then fit the wheel back on in line with the mark and line up the clock spring ofcourse at the same time. I wish you luck just make sure you are gentle with everything dont force it!

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
does anyone have a photo of a vz clock spring for a s-wheel with audio controls??

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
does anyone have a photo of a vz clock spring for a s-wheel with audio controls??

181153055957_1_0_1.jpg

vt-vz clock spring

$_57.JPG

vz only clock spring with stereo control , 12 wires, will not fit vt-vy

so there ya go , remember to disconnect battery before undoing air bag to avoid light on dash.

also have your steering wheel straight before pulling of wheel , and make sure the clock spring is centre before fitting to avoid breakage , good luck.

Last edited:

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
thanks, exactly the same as mine... so now i need to figure out how to do a cont test on it to see if its faulty...

the others ive seen were pretty straight forward..

but i havent seen any wiring diagrams etc for this so dont know which terminals to bridge

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
right, so seeing as the other 10 wires are only for the horn and stereo controls...i just popped the back off the yellow srs plug, and tested each wire agaisnt all 12 terminals on the back of the clock spring, the first tested ok, the 2nd couldnt get any reading....so now i have drawn a conclusion-----BUSTED!!!

my SRS fault may be sorted and once replaced, my horn should go again aswell....woohoo...

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
ok good luck.

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
thought id open up the clock spring today to see what was up with it... sorry no pic..

but once its open, there is a long (2m or so) ribbon with the wiring running through it...
similar to what youd find in the laptop or flip phone that connects from the flexible joint.

the damage i found was on one of the srs strips, looks like it has been pinched somehow...

may get some pics up at some stage..

anyway ive tracked down a tested used item with a 2 year warranty for $70... woohoo

shizzl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS commodore SS V8
ok so i replaced the clock spring with a good tested unit..

horn still doesnt work, and the airbag warning is still up..

does the codes need to be cleared? thought they wouldve been self clearing on a modern car...