Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ clunking when I turn it on

Kane330

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Equip VZ
Hello everyone,

I have a 2004 VZ wagon with about 297k on the clock, and it has a loud knock when I turn the car on, and when I turn it off, but not while I'm driving/idling. I noticed the knock to be worse when the car was warmed up and not as noticible when cold.

I've been told it could be crankshaft thrust bearings but everywhere I read mentions that it should continue the sound while I'm driving, but once the car is running it runs great.

It did throw up a "check power train" warning on the dash one time, but it hasn't again and I put an OBDII on it and got no error codes.

If anyone has any input or thoughts on what it could be I'd be greatly thankful.
Thanks very much

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Can you put up a video, Is the knock front back top bottom or inside the engine.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I've been told it could be crankshaft thrust bearings but everywhere I read mentions that it should continue the sound while I'm driving, but once the car is running it runs great. ???

to much info heard, maybe getting confused between a spun bearing noise and hot low oil pressure/worn bearings since 297km. It could just also be a oil pump wear issue noise if power is ok. Let a mechanic do tests/drive.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Until you pin point the area then it could be anything, it sounds like it called be the belt tensioner or it could be a torque converter, u need to find the source of the area, called be the timing chain tensioner so many could be. .

Kane330

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Equip VZ
Thanks very much everyone for the input, I will upload a video later today, it is booked in with a mechanic for next week, but I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what it is. It sounds as though it's coming from the engine, maybe where the engine meets the transmission, but as I say, will get a video later.

Thanks again everyone

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
crankshaft thrust bearings
If it was a thrust bearing it could cause a no start as the crank will jam up, if your car is manual then you should be able to see the front H-balancer move forward when pressing in the clutch if worn.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I get a clunking noise sometimes when I turn my car on but not all the time. Mine comes from underneath the gear shifter but I don't know what the error is. Does this sound like the same thing happening with your car or does yours do this all the time?

Kane330

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Equip VZ
It's an automatic and the noise does sound like it's coming from under the gear stick, sort of to the left of my left foot.

It also doesn't happen all the time, of course as soon as I get a camera onto it you can hardly hear it. It does however seem to get worse as it warms up. Though the video was taken after a 20 minute drive.

Here's a video, as I say, it's almost inaudible now but you can kind of hear the hollow rattle as it turns off.

Thanks again everyone