Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ coil pack.... how do you test?

Marty_59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 Commodore Omega ute
Hi There,
2006 VZ SSZ Crewman, how do you test the coil packs? Can you test them with a multimeter in anyway? Car was a bit "shakey" on idle, ran fine all the rest of the time. Now replaced one set of coil packs on one side, the engine now is near perfect, appears there could be one dodgy coil on the other bank. Can I test the four that I have taken off and find the dodgy one and maybe find the other dodgy coil on the other bank and replace it? Or is it just a case of replace the other bank as well?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers Marty

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Use a "fast" oscilloscope not scan tool and take an induction reading off each coil. You will see the faulty one. This is the only way you can see the fault. Common as hell on these and if you replace one you may aswell do them all. They are cheap as hell. Also when you go to replace and check coils the intake plenum has to come off to access. The factory gasket will tear and 9/10 wont be usable again. The new replacement is a better gasket and made of materials where it can be reused.

Marty_59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 Commodore Omega ute
Hi Futech,
Cheers, thanks very much, I'll investigate new ones tomorrow. I replaced one bank yesterday without removing the plenum, the bracket just bolted to the top of the rocker cover.......... I fear I have one more dodgy coil on the other bank.

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hey Futech, where do we get these "cheap as hell" coils???
cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Usually by testing resistance and comparing to the other coils.

The VT to VZ workshop manual says the following about the ignition coils used on the 3.6 litre V6 and the gen111 and genV1 V8's..
"The ignition coils design is such that it is not possible to check the primary or secondary resistance as can be done with conventional ignition coils." Theres no coil resistance measurment given in the specs for these engines ignition systems either.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
The VT to VZ workshop manual says the following about the ignition coils used on the 3.6 litre V6 and the gen111 and genV1 V8's..
"The ignition coils design is such that it is not possible to check the primary or secondary resistance as can be done with conventional ignition coils." Theres no coil resistance measurment given in the specs for these engines ignition systems either.

Weird, I found a problem with a mates LS1 using these instructions. I first checked resistance compared to the others and found one coil that was bad then proceeded to go more into depth on the faulty coil with these instructions. Turned out the coil was bad, replaced it and it was fixed.

1. Disconnect the ignition coil output wire at the cap.
2. Connect a spark plug to the end of the ignition coil output wire which you just disconnected.
3. Connect a ground wire to the threaded portion of the spark plug.
4. Disconnect the ignition coil ground wire from the negative terminal on the coil (Green Wire).
5. Connect one end of a ground wire to the ignition coil negative terminal.
6. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
7. Tap the other end of the ignition coil ground wire jumper on an good grounding point (for example the battery negative terminal) and look for sparks at the spark plug that correspond to the frequency of your tapping of the ground wire.
8. If you have a good spark at the spark plug, the ignition coil is good.
9. If you don't get a good spark, check for approximately 12 VDC from the coil positive terminal (black wire) to ground with the ignition switch in the ON position. You should also get approximately 12 VDC from the coil negative terminal (Green wire) to ground

Ignition Coil Resistance Check
In addition to the test above, you may elect to perform an ignition coil resistance check as confirmation of the coil's condition.

1. Check the ignition coil primary coil resistance by connecting an ohmmeter between the positive (Black wire) and negative (Green wire) terminals on the coil. The resistance should be 0.4 to 0.6 ohms.
2. Check the ignition coil secondary coil resistance by connecting an ohmmeter between the coil output terminal and the ignition coil negative terminal. The resistance should be 5000 to 7200 ohms.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7

This is why you take an induction reading from the coil. Use a scope and you can clearly see ignition patterns. You really need to get out of these workshop manuals and move into the 21st century.