Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2004 executive sedan very Low fuel fuel gauge error srs abs low oil warnings.

micki91

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore VZ 2004 Executive sedan 3.6
Hi,

so I have a 2004 VZ commodore executive sedan. its auto with 279,000ks on the clock.
the issue I'm having is a big one I'm guessing, when I unlock the doors put the key in and try to start it its dead all electrics still work however it doesn't crank it is silent like it has a flat battery however the battery is fully charged and brand new. a few seconds after attempting to start it I get the following error codes on the lcd screen on the cluster.
very low fuel
fuel gauge error (fuel gauge also reads empty yet I have half a tank)
service soon
low oil warning
abs fault
srs fault.
ive also had a random warning when trying to start the car the speedo went to max speed the car started beeping and I got driver fasten seatbelt warning.

after reading multiple threads it seems like the computer is stuffed.

the car was in a slight accident where the driver hit a cement barrier and took out the sump, the car was turned of straight away and towed to be fixed. in the process of it being fixed the after market head unit was removed, and it has never started again. it has sat now for about 2 years and when I put the car into diagnostic mode it shows a trouble code
yet the Kincrome OBD2 scan tool could not pick up a fault.

things I have tried to make it start are as follows
Second hand starter motor fitted,
swapped battery for new one
jump started
checked fuses and relays
disconnected negative battery terminal for 60 mins &24 hours
left key in ignition and on position for 60 minutes
hit starter motor to get it moving
tried to clear warnings using lcd display buttons on dash
added more fuel
moved car to level ground
moved car to slight incline
tried starting car in neutral
tapped fuel tank as fuel pump won't prime
rocked car

the only thing that got me even close to getting the car to start with the key was shorting the starter relay too many times until the point the starter would just click some how one time it shorted something else the fuel guage read and all warnings were gone apart from SRS and ABS warning and I was able to get the car cranking but not firing with the key. however this was short lived once I turned it off locked the car and left it for a few hours all fault warnings were back.

my question is am I right in thinking it is the computer system? or could it be something else I've missed,
would I be better off replacing the whole engine being it was damaged and the ks are high and it sat for so long, or should I just get the computer replaced?
it is doing my head in the car has sentimental meaning and I just want it on the road.
please help!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you tried removing the stereo and seeing if the car starts?

What if they replaced the headunit with one that’s not VIN matched?

Have you tried the battery in the keyhead?

Is the contact on the key head worn flat?

If you do replace the computer, which one? PIM, BCM and ECM can all be a part of this. Try a key & computer set from a wrecker with a BCM that has a matching trim code to yours. A cheap way to trouble shoot without tech equipment. If that makes no difference, you can sell the set and eliminate that as the problem.

Important to understand that just because all this is happening, it could mean the systems are just doing their job.

It’s like replacing a temp gauge because it reads the engine is overheating, when it’s not the gauge faulty, it’s just doing its job.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I had something similar happen on my VT years ago and it turned out to be faulty ABS module....The dash lit up like xmas tree...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Why post in the VF forum? Why don't you post your problem in the VZ Forum?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sounds like a VZ issue in the VF's said the Bishop to the Nun.

micki91

Reaction score
Members Ride
apologies....about posting in the VF forum, for some reason that's what it defaulted to when created the thread and even though I attempted to change it more than once it didn't work.

micki91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you tried removing the stereo and seeing if the car starts?

What if they replaced the headunit with one that’s not VIN matched?

Have you tried the battery in the keyhead?

Is the contact on the key head worn flat?

If you do replace the computer, which one? PIM, BCM and ECM can all be a part of this. Try a key & computer set from a wrecker with a BCM that has a matching trim code to yours. A cheap way to trouble shoot without tech equipment. If that makes no difference, you can sell the set and eliminate that as the problem.

Important to understand that just because all this is happening, it could mean the systems are just doing their job.

It’s like replacing a temp gauge because it reads the engine is overheating, when it’s not the gauge faulty, it’s just doing its job.

so after talking to the original owner tonight after the sump was repaired the car still ran with out an issue until it ran out of fuel that seems to be where the issues started. their is currently no head unit and the pervious owner bought it with an after market one already in it.
my key is quite warn and it is missing all 3 buttons so maybe try a new key first rather than getting ahead of myself lol. I have noticed the key head is also quite blunt even though it connects to the ring around the ignition.
I have an after market head unit so I will wire that in tomorrow just so everything is complete.

most things I have read point to the ECU being faulty thought this was the most likely culprit because the warnings on the LCD display are the same and run in the same order.

I was also told night the original motor seized so it actually has a VE reconditioned engine fitted right before the last owner purchased it.