Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2nd hand ECU fit straight in or need PIM to match up?

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by Longslenderbody, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Longslenderbody

Longslenderbody New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ executive
    Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, appreciate all the help I have gotten from this forum without ever having to post a unique problem!!

This time I couldn't find a thread to help though. The problem is that my ECU was on the way out. I had the telltale fuel guage error sporadically appearing and preventing the car from turning over. I never bothered bypassing the starter relay and bridging the starter motor, I just decided to try and find a second hand ECU rather than spending the $1000 holden wants to replace with a new bosch model.

So I pulled an ECU from an identical car. 175kw auto sedan. I fitted it and tried to start the car. It shows no fuel guage error but didn't turn over or start to begin with.

I reset it with neg off the battery and it turns over but doesn't fire.

I was told by my mechanic friend that if the cars are the same the ECU should just work without any programming etc... I'm now wondering whether that is accurate or not. Are any of you familiar with replacing the ECU with a second hand unit?

2. Longslenderbody

Members Ride:
    VZ executive
    Maybe I made a mistake. I have a feeling that the 175kw pim is 92190063 and 190kw is 92179450..

My car is an executive but an ex cop car so would it possibly be 190kw? Is there any way of telling? Can anyone check the number on their 175 or 190 ECU and help me work this out?

3. Omega6

Omega6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE S1 Omega
    Is the immobiliser light flashing while u try to turn it over ?

4. Longslenderbody

Members Ride:
    VZ executive
    No everything lights up like normal, its just not firing I assume because the PIM is different. I just don't have the manuals and can't tell if its the 190 or the 175.

5. Omega6

Omega6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE S1 Omega
    I know the answer is somewhere in your vin, call Holden & give then the vin ?

6. Longslenderbody

Members Ride:
    VZ executive
    Thanks Omega6, you are right, I rang Holden and found out it is the 190KW! It also has FE2 suspension, so it is basically a SV6!! (minus the bodykit and interior)

So I wasted $70 on the 175kw ecu but I find out my car is worth more than I thought so not all bad haha.

I'm going to source a ecu from ebay and see if that works I think. If I get the ecu and PIM module I can't lose right? Hope so :S

new one is $800 and you need computer to install, meaning mechanics charge upwards of $1000

The reco'd 2nd hand part cost me under $200 and its 5 minutes work to do yourself so its worth a try.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. Longslenderbody

Members Ride:
    VZ executive
    I found the solution. Thought I should post it incase anyone else suffers the same drama. If the numbers on the ECU match up you should be able to just plug-n-play a 2nd hand one.

So you're looking for the number above the barcode eg. 92190063,92179450
    and the Service number on the same sticker eg. 12600940

If the two match you should be in business without having to replace the PIM module or BCM etc.

Justcommodoresspares are the ones that sorted it out for me.

Good luck guys, peace.

8. routier1642

routier1642 Member

Members Ride:
    2005 Adventra LX6
    Doesn't the 190 have a distinctive black intake manifold?

9. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    So you managed to replace it without linking?

10. 88GreenVN

88GreenVN Next Exit Left

Members Ride:
    Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
    I had to get the replacement ECU on the VZ ute matched up with the VIN - and you need the VIN from the replacement car the ECU came from!

Cost me $270 to get it linked!

I very much doubt it's just plug n play.....

11. alloytec sludge

alloytec sludge Member

Members Ride:
    vz
    where you get a reco ecu from?

12. mack2210

mack2210 New Member

Members Ride:
    2004 VZ Executive , 1998 VT Exec ( Written Off)
    If you replace your ECU you will require to reprogram it using a Tech 2 ( unless it is from a car with identical configuration) and you will need the VIN ( or just the immobiliser code from the car the ECU came from). The ECU's from a 190kw and 175kw are physically the same ( as far as i can tell ) the only difference is the software loaded on them, which is VIN locked to the ECU. If you have a 175kw ECU you can reprogram it to your cars Software by using SPS and your VIN on a Tech2 with TIS access. You will then need to reset the ECU, which is where you will need the immobiliser code from the car the ECU came from, then you can security link it using your immobiliser code and you should be good to go.

I hope the above helps, and saves you from buying another ECU :)

13. diysv6

diysv6 Member

Members Ride:
    VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
    Re Serial Numbers, Part numbers on new 2004 VZ SV6 5speed auto sedan ECU.

I bought a "new" ECU for my VZ SV6 recently. Fitted with 12 months warranty $990 by a home visit guy here in Brisbane area.
    Looking at serial numbers and such stuff, I thought I would add my white label "data" from the new ECU. My understanding these are brand new from Bosch USA, and the deal was that Bosch required the old ECU as part of the replacement process, otherwise I paid another $120 to keep it.

I have two white labels on the new ECU

Label 1. 208095 004584 01020

Label 2. 19260509 E55 YLZC
    Ser No: 19260509
    1039S10782 8627004584 208095
    13-05-08
    Using some of your comparison part numbers nothing I have seems to match. The guy used the Tech2 and took about 45 minutes to download software from his laptop to get everything to match up. The engine has been very good since the new ECU was fitted. The diagnostic guy said the my ECU was a Bosch factory unit, (They bought ECUs from USA direct as did Holden Australia) hence the return of the ECU assembly. The early 2004/2005 problems were fixed in this new unit. Only time will tell if my decision was the right one.

I tried to add an image of my original ECU white label. Couldn't get it to happen, so made a new post with the original ECU label.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  14. alloytec sludge

alloytec sludge Member

Members Ride:
    vz
    i got one of e bay for 70 bucks same number i hope it works if not hope they send all the info and number to get it done by a tech2

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  15. diysv6

diysv6 Member

Members Ride:
    IMG_1457m1200.jpg

Original label on my faulty ECU

16. alloytec sludge

alloytec sludge Member

Members Ride:
    vz
    just got my ecu today from the wreckers same id numbers , doesn't work ha ha

17. diysv6

diysv6 Member

Members Ride:
    Bad luck with the ECU for a plug and play outcome.

I presume that you will need the VIN number and what else [?] from the donor car to be able to use the replacement along with a Tech2 software link-up into your VZ.

The Brisbane mobile Tech2 guy I used wanted $439 to link up a second hand ECU. (The second hand ECU was $260 and supposedly from a 09/2004 build SV6 as mine is).
    In hind sight, I presume the wrecker/dismantler would have given me the necessary BCM and VIN numbers from the donor car. The overall cost $699 and no warranty made the new replacement with 12 months warranty for $990 a bit easier to take up.

Best of luck with the upload etc.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  18. alloytec sludge

alloytec sludge Member

Members Ride:
    vz
    yes not sure what to do, i didnt get any vin numbers with it. also bought two coil packs today to try fix the missing tryed on all 6 cylinders no good

19. alloytec sludge

alloytec sludge Member

Members Ride:
    vz
    do you have to take car with the ecu to get linked or just the ecu to holden?

20. diysv6

diysv6 Member

Members Ride:
    The local dismantler, who would have sold me the ECU, gave me the name of a guy who does home visits and sets up the Tech2 in your driveway/carport etc.

If the wrecker/dismantler could not get an engine etc. to run or a made up car to run, he used this guy for the Tech2 programming etc.

They had all of the loading software on a laptop, which seemed to need the VIN/BCM as I understood it.

This guy does a lot of the used car yards in Brisbane - Scenario: The car yard trade/buy a dickey VZ with an idle/starting problem etc. The dealer buys a second hand ECU from a wrecker; dealer rings this guy to come and match it up. I guess that's why it was $439. Trade price service?
    He wanted the $439 even when the replacement ECU is faulty.

There must be these guys in Victoria (?) who provide a service to the after market car yards.
    Maybe a Holden dealer might be cheaper, but do you have to get the car trailered to the dealer and have donor car VIN/BCM etc?

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014