Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2nd hand ECU fit straight in or need PIM to match up?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
not sure what to do i see justcommodorespares has them for 200

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
not sure what to do i see justcommodorespares has them for 200
Ahhh, sorry to hear you have the infamous VZ ecu failure. Its a real pain in the ass.

First up, as you would have figured out by now. Yes you can change out your VZ ecu for a second hand one. Now, all you need to do is get your hands on a tech2 and a second hand ECU.
Holden documentation state that, the donor ecu needs/meant to be "reset" before being fit into a new car, where the VIN and bcm security code needs to be know of the donor car. This reset procedure is done under the programming menu in the Engine menu of the tech2.
Once completed, you will need to fit the new ecu, and then need to "relink bcm/pcm". Under this menu, you will need to select yes on the option stating "has the ecu been changed?" and then follow the promps. Fairly certain you will need to enter the bcm security number and vin of your current car when fitting.

The above is taken from Holden docos explaining the tech2 procedure. There is no "special hacks/work" that is done. Just simply no-one reads manuals anymore these days.. instead they just "wing-it"... including holden!
If the ecu is not "reset" while in the original car, I am unsure what happens there. Im yet to investigate this further on my bench setup, But I imagine that the reset clears the VIN and BCM security code so that it can then be security linked with the new PIM and BCM.

*edit
Exact procedure for replacing the pim is below. Same procedure for doing the ECUs though.
Prior to performing the linking procedure, obtain the security code and BCM security number. For further
information, refer to Vehicle Security Card.
2 Connect Tech 2 to the data link connector (DLC).
3 On Tech 2 select: Body / Powertrain Interface Module / Security / BCM Link to ECM / PIM.
4 When Tech 2 displays BCM Replaced, press the No soft key.
5 When Tech 2 displays PIM / ECM Replaced?, press the Yes soft key.
6 When Tech 2 displays Select Engine Type use the up and down arrow selection keys to select the appropriate
engine type and then press the Enter key.
7 When Tech 2 displays Please Select, use the up and down arrow selection keys to select PIM Replaced, and then
press the Enter key.
8 When Tech 2 displays BCM Security No., enter the BCM security number, press the Enter key.
9 When Tech 2 displays Turn Ignition Off!, turn the ignition switch off.
10 When Tech 2 displays Turn Ignition On, turn the ignition switch on.
11 When Tech 2 displays Enter Security Code, enter the security code and press the Enter key and then the Okay
soft key.
12 When Tech 2 displays Confirm Security Code, re-enter the security code, press the Enter key and then the Okay
soft key.
13 When Tech 2 displays Stop Engine – Turn Off Ignition, turn the ignition switch off.
14 When Tech 2 displays Turn Ignition On, turn the ignition switch on.
15 When Tech 2 displays Programming Successful, press the Confirm soft key to return to the Tech 2 Security
screen.

Only thing missing there is doing the reset in the donor vehicle prior to putting into the new car.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
thanks for that . that sets it straight
Glad to help. Make sure to post back if you have issues/success so others know what to do.

Im currently trying to get a VZ PIM and BCM so that I can test all this on a bench setup, and work out a step by step tutorial for others to follow. There is absolutely no reason why people should have to fork out 2K+ to holden to fit a new one ecu when a second hand unit will do the same job.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
finally got my car scanned today
u2105 can bus:engine control unit communication error
u2108 can bus abs control error
u2106 transmission control unit can data bus
u1304 data line. k bus
u2105 can bus engine control unit
need new or repaired e c u

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I bought a new bcm to replace in my VZ ute , got said new bcm .
And tryed to link it with a holden tech 2 but it said the bcm was "locked" and that I needed the secuirty code to proceed , but to get the security key i need to know the security key to access that menu lol .
So no way to get the old code off the new bcm and the wreckers have no idea what car it came from (for the vin etc ) .

Have you found anyway to reset the bcm ?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I bought a new bcm to replace in my VZ ute , got said new bcm .
And tryed to link it with a holden tech 2 but it said the bcm was "locked" and that I needed the secuirty code to proceed , but to get the security key i need to know the security key to access that menu lol .
So no way to get the old code off the new bcm and the wreckers have no idea what car it came from (for the vin etc ) .

Have you found anyway to reset the bcm ?

Which security code do you mean? The BCM security code, or the IMMO (Immobilizer) code?
BCM should be 6digit code (I think from memory) and the IMMO is 4 digit code

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Which security code do you mean? The BCM security code, or the IMMO (Immobilizer) code?
BCM should be 6digit code (I think from memory) and the IMMO is 4 digit code

Yeah the 6 digit one , cant access the code reset part on the tech 2 without knowing the 6 digit code to reset the code that we dont have lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
mine has come good by itself starts all the time and is running nice now no miss at all lol

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yeah the 6 digit one , cant access the code reset part on the tech 2 without knowing the 6 digit code to reset the code that we dont have lol

Hmm, might be able to pull the vin that you can use at Holden, Ill have to check my notes.