Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Commodore Headunit

Ryan2e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive V6 3.6L
I have a VZ commodore my06 and im wondering what headunit I should get, and if its possible to control headunit off the wheel aswell.

Cheers
Ryan

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
You'll need to buy adapter for the steering wheel controls. I didn't bother with mine. Also with what headunit you'll have to be a little more specific as to what you're after and what kinda budget you're looking at as there are many to choose from. Me personally I like the double din DVD combos as the look pretty pimp.

Ryan2e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive V6 3.6L
How much is the adapter, and not really sure bout budget lets say $400

kcpwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
I think the adapter can cost up to $200..I'm not sure, as I said I don't have one.
What kinda stuff so you want your headunit to do? Single or double din? For that much you could easily get a decent single din, whereas if you want a double din with video and all that stuff it's gonna cost more. And don't forget to allow like $30 or so for a fascia kit

Ryan2e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive V6 3.6L
fkk, not really worth it for the adapter then... well do you think single dins look good on commys?
nd well what would you recommend

kcpwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Well any headunit is better then a stock one haha. I recommend going to your local car audio store, like wow or jb hifi or something similar, where they have headunits set up. That way you can get a feel for the headunits and find one you like. Then find a place that sells it cheaper :p
Or you could haggle lol

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Me and My mate both got aftermarket head..Vy is mine aned he got VZ and our Steering wheel control works fine. We got the Swi Jack ,
This cover most popular brands and is easy to hook up and pretty neat than the CAT system .
So go to their website and choose PONTIAC GTO and would tell you which one to buy depending to your HEADunit.
iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

also you can order them from Elite Electronics, Welcome to our Online Store
or ebay.
But dont go for CAT-10 kinda stuff

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
CAT systems are for like $200 but this SWI jack was rnd $50 when i bought but my mate bought for like $90 , but for sure is worth money

Ryan2e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive V6 3.6L
okay if i bought the Swi jack, would an average audio installer know how to install it?
and i know this is a newbie question, but what are the difference between a expensive single din and a cheap single din.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You would know how to install it, it is as simple as buying the two harnesses, plugging them together and then plugging it into your stock wiring and headunit. Better yet, here is what I recommend. It works perfectly with my VY commodore:

Steering wheel control harness

It is as simple as plugging that into the stock connectors, and then buying another harness that will plug into that harness, and connect to your headunit.

Here's what you need to do:
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/jilvllvly/ad_main1.jpg

Simple to do.

Expensive single dins have more features, like bluetooth, ipod connectivity, more RCA outputs, greater tuning capabilities, better audio chips, better sound quality etc.