Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Commodore installing double DIN stereo, what do i need?

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey guys,

Im going to install a double DIN stereo into my commodore on the weekend but im not sure what i need, the stereo is: ($348) Kenwood DDX-4031 6.1inch DVD Receiver - DDX4031

Is it as simple as changing all the wires over, I bought a facia from ebay is that all i need ?

Thanks again guys

Last edited:

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
you should be able to get a wiring harness adapter from most audio or car parts stores,if you have steering controls you will need a steering harness adapter as well,you also need a double din fascia and then a removal kit or use a couple of coat hangers or some strong wire,there are plenty of threads on here relating to your questions,just go to how to and you will find out what you need cheers

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Done this before. Easy as!
Hardest part is getting the previous stereo out. Easiest way is to do the following:
Remove cupholder section of console, followed bu the entire stereo/climate controll fascia.
Unit come straight out of the plugs when u pull it out as the plugs are secured to the stereo "cradle".
Remove the black "cradle" that holds the stock head unit and pull the plugs out if it to use on ur new unit.
U will need a Kenwood wiring harness which will come out of ur new HU and be a short cable that ends with another plug. And then another wiring harness that plugs from that into the holden plugs (it has two ends that look the same but make sure u plug them into the right ones- one is power, other is speakers basically)
U will also need a female to male areal plug cos the stock one is kinda stupid and wont fit into ur new HU cos its bent on a right angle. Stupid thing. Lol
Id suggest securing ur new head unit in place but the facia surround plate (im guessing its an aeropro?) Should just clip straight in to place..

I Dunno if thats what u were asking but i hope it helps?

Oh and beer. That helps too haha

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
+1 For removal kit. Coathangers can work but they can also be a b!7(# also. Haha my clips were broken so it was a painnn.
U will also need a screwdriver ;) lol