Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Commodore Interior Leaking Water

Lawrence Carlei

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS1
Hello Commodorians,

I am currently having issues with my Commodore, a few months ago I had a water leak in the passenger's side footwell. wasnt too bad, so I cleaned it up and replaced my windshield.

Last weekend I was washing my car and I had about a 50mm Water Puddle in my passengers side footwell with mold growing on the rear carpet. I then had a look at the sunroof and didnt see any leaking from the roof. I then had a look at the door seal and Nada.

Has anyone had the same issue with their cars? Its a VZ Commodore.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for this to be looked at within melbourne?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Blocked drain from the HVAC?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
whats hvac please

Lawrence Carlei

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS1
I don't believe its coolant, The Car hasn't been driven in sometime, I believe its rainwater. I am going to pull it apart and have a look at it this weekend. I will let you know how I go.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
whats hvac please
Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning system.
It references the entire component that sits behind the instrument pad assembly.
When the AC runs (With or without the heater as well) water is formed, which then drips into a tray and into a drain tube which exits the vehicle above the gearbox.
Get under the car and get you hand up ontop of the gearbox and feel for the drain tube. See if it's clogged up with schmutz.

Check that all the firewall grommets are there. I recall a work colleague that had this happen in her VZ. The water was coming in through the loom grommet which had come loose from the firewall in the engine bay on the passenger side.

There is another small grommet right in the corner on the passenger side, looking from the engine bay.

Check under the car. There are two "plugs" in the floor pan. I say plugs, but they are small plates sealed into the floor pan. See if they look damaged.

The other place might be where the antenna cable comes through from the inner guard.
Remove the glove box, the door sill trim, the footwell kick panel, the PCM and see if there is anything a miss there.
You might see water marks on some of the components behind the glovebox around the fan perhaps?
Undo the fan motor, see if there's water in there?
Remove the exterior trim from the wipers and see if there's anything going on in there.
There should be a mesh cover over the cabin air intake.
Might be all clogged up with leaves and schmutz in the drainage areas.

Some models had leaks from the top forward part of the door, with updated window seals the fix.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
yeh thanks I have got a vl where the heater /air box was blocked with leaves ect it was full of water lol