Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ common problems, overall problems?

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Hey guys I have a friend looking at buying a 2006 VZ v6, the car comes with reg/rwc but the k's are relatively high (245,000). I always hear bad things about the Alloytec engines, if anyone could give me some feed back regarding common problems and possible issues that may come (with that many k's) cheers.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Normal issues for all alloytec are thermostat, waterpump, sticky indicator light, but with those amount of kays anything could #### up

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Oh and sludged engines, always check in the oil filler, and change oil every 10k and youll be fine

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Look for one with lower Kim's ,I bought a 05 SV 6 over a month ago with 70,000 on the clock , pretty happy so far , but as above regularly service them , although I would be servicing every 5000- 7500 km , the Alloytec goes ok but they do need slightly more revs to go at their best .

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Thanks guys, what about the timing chains? Is there any way/signs to know when they're on their way out? How are the auto's? Do they tend to have any issues (slipping, not selecting gears etc). For the 245k's how much you pay?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Thanks guys, what about the timing chains? Is there any way/signs to know when they're on their way out? How are the auto's? Do they tend to have any issues (slipping, not selecting gears etc). For the 245k's how much you pay?

There is a thread somewhere regards the timing chain issue , it means checking the engine number for affected models , if there are timing chain problems it will sound like a diesel locomotive , as for the autos , at that mileage it depends on how it was treated .

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Just do a full service on it when he buys it, start from the diff, fuel filter, transmission oil, power steer fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs, coolant, engine oil and filter, that way the car will run at its best,