Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ coolant leaking from overflow

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I bought an 04 model VZ three days ago, yesterday morning it started to overheat, so I pulled over and made it somewhere safe to top up with water til I got home, when filling the overflow reservoir it pissed everything straight back out.
I filled up the radiator, no leaks or heat issues, but what could be causing the coolant/water to leak from the overflow?
And until I can get this fixed will it be fine to drive as long as it's not getting hot, with the water and coolant in the radiator, driving it around it's sitting around the 1/4 mark

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm not really understanding where you are trying to fill it mate but I'd suggest that you could start with a new radiator cap from a Holden dealer. They are 20 odd dollars. Don't buy one from a parts shop because they don't work on Alloytecs, I've tried them all...
When your engine is warm does it build up pressure in the top radiator hose? It should. The over flow bottle should only be filled up to the line, which is about half full.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I agree with Greenacc that the first thing to try would be to replace the radiator cap. When I first got my VZ I had an issued with coolant leaking out even though the temperature didn't show as hot. I replaced the cap and haven't had the problem since. It also seems to be a common problem with VZs from what I've read on this forum.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If there is a pink stain around the lip of the coolant orifice at the engine, it could well be the cap: the coolant cap is easily replaced; I have actually replaced mine along my current journey last Thursday (and yes, it has to be from Holden, because aftermarket ones may likely not offer the same positive seal and start weeping, in addition to there being two different types for the Alloytec which are not interchangeable). No biggie, ye olde cap has served its life well since 2006!!

If you continue to lose coolant, a check should be made of the serviceability of the coolant pump.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Think it was just air trapped in the radiator somewhere, i topped it back up with coolant and haven't had an issue since.
I have my cousins partner doing a service in a few weeks for me who's a qualified mechanic.