Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz cranks but won't start every time

Bozovz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Holden ute
Hey all I have a vz Holden ute v6 auto.

My problem is over the last few months it would some times not start.Now it won't start at all really maybe once a day . It will also come up with powertrain light on dash. Here are the codes I have
Po261: injector relay control circuit low voltage
Po628: fuel pump relay low voltage
Po458: evaporation emission control system purge solenoid low voltage
History is
Slip ring failure
Engine start without slip ring communication
Key rolling code error
PCM data lost
.now i have replaced battery and slip ring .
Help !!!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'm no expert but I'd be checking the alternator if you're getting voltage problems.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check battery as well (needs to be fully charged), get it load tested, it will give you the condition of the battery-takes 5mins, they could also check alternator ouput as well at same time (you could do it) multimeter across + and - set to dc volts, should read when running at idle between 12.8v and 14.5 if it is charging, as revs increase it should max out at about 14.5v, even a battery reading 12.5volts without engine running does not mean it is good battery it could be failing under load, is it topped up with electrolyte or is it maint free battery, it may be a bcm fault, is it your key battery, do all the doors unlock with key, elec windows work (if you have them) can you here fuel pump prime (little buzzing noise when you turn ign on)

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
I suffer the same problem. Cold it starts every time. If I drive it turn it off and go to start it within 5 mins of turning it off its ok.

But if its left to sit once dive it cranks and cranks and crank then fires.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Dunno man. Started happening just before my alternator died. Now has new alternator and battery. But since then done head and cam. How could I check.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Everyone saying crank angle.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
I suffer the same problem. Cold it starts every time. If I drive it turn it off and go to start it within 5 mins of turning it off its ok.

But if its left to sit once dive it cranks and cranks and crank then fires.

Wouldn't be a dying battery then, had a similar problem with an old car - but things were the other way around. First start of the day would take a few cranks, and the rest for the day would ignite straight away. My experience anyway.

As for the OPs problem. Is it the fuel pump? If its coming up in your error codes, it might be on the fritz. I had a VP with a dying fuel pump, wouldn't always start, especially when it had been parked on a slope, or had minimal fuel in it. Wouldn't really explain the other error codes, but the symptoms you're having, error codes aside, are similar to my old ones.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Wouldn't be a dying battery then, had a similar problem with an old car - but things were the other way around. First start of the day would take a few cranks, and the rest for the day would ignite straight away. My experience anyway.

Battery and alternator are brand new.

The problem started just before the old battery died. How much voltage should I have ?

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
car not running about 12.60 too about 12.70 volts normal,, car running about 14 volts,,, as stated just because it shows 12.65 volts when checking with a multi meter, they need too be drop tested ?? as like when under load off starting should not go below 8 volts or its a ####ed cell.