Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz crewman lowering blocks.

Mike patton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Hi there first time caller long time listener . Recently brought a crewman vz and purchased 2 inch blocks and ubolts to sit the rear down so I can see out the back. Went to install weekend gone and there's a big knarly bolt coming out of the axle running through all the leafs and a nut on the bottom... this makes installing these blocks without modifying the blocks or the car impossible. Has anyone a remedy for this ? Cheers go easy on me I'm new.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You should have blocks that accommodate that.

Careful lowering a Crewman. The tail shaft can rub on the plastic fuel tank.

1.5” is acceptable. 2” and you won’t want much weight in it and avoid bumps.

Mike patton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Yeah that's why I thought there is a hole in the block that almost goes right through but it isn't deep enough to house the bolt and then if it was would the nut become obsolete and rely on the locating pin to keep everything lined up? Cheers thanks for your help .

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
I've been through all this myself..
Ended up having a set of springs made up, lower, thicker top leaf, with progressive load spring....
Heaps better than blocks.... Used to get axle tramp with blocks....
( Pulling tool trailer)
Oh, and remove the centre headrest for a better view out back window....
If you don't use centre seat !!!!!

Mike patton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Thanks man nice to see I'm not the only one. So was there much modification of the blocks or axle bolt needed to fit them? If It isn't to much trouble I'd like to persist otherwise I'll have to try return them and look at the new spring option.
Thanks again mate.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had pedders adjustable leaf springs in mine.

Mike patton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Cheers I'll check price and availability in nz I imagine they'll want my first born for a set over here.

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
The leaf spring centre bolt should be a socket head cap screw.. ( allen headed bolt)
They are 10.9 high tensile....
head of bolt locates the diff housing, and obviously locates lowering blocks too......
Sounds like your c /bolt is the problem..

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I've setup many leaf packs and fitted heaps of blocks.
It's always better to use leaf springs. Blocks increase the mechanical advantage of the diff on the leaf. If you ever look under a car with a gopro while it's driving you'll see how the leaf flops around like a soggy piece of spaghetti.

I think you're talking about the centre bolt of the leaf pack? I can't remeber the crewman because it's been 6-7 years since I did leaf springs on one. But most centre bolts can be trimed on a bench grinder to fit the lowering blocks. The centre bolts postion the diff in the correct alignment on the leaf springs, if they aren't there your diff can move then start crab walking.

Mike patton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Yep that's about what I thought but was a bit hesitant to start trimming the thread of bolts but I guess with the remainder of the bolt in the block and the locator on the block in the top leaf it has the same effect?? New leafs are sounding a lot safer at this point. Cheers guys