Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman

Ed zackley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman 3.6
Hi all,
I have recently become the owner of a 2007 Crewman with the alloytec v6. It's condition is ok for it's age and has apparently done under 150k km. I have had to replace the radiator and the front shocks so far which is where the fun started.
After purchasing a set of springs and shocks, getting the disassembly completed, I found that the VZ Monroe shocks were not compatible. When NAPA contacted Monroe, they said they knew all about that, but were selling them anyway. Apparently in the runout of the VZ Crewman in '07, there were a number of parts mixed and matched from older models. I finally got a set from elsewear and the jobs all good.
Now, the front seat are in very ordinary condition and I have been able to obtain a pair, supposedly out of a VX sedan. Given that info on the '07 Crewman is patchy, can anyone tell me what issues I am likely to run into in changing out the seats ?
Cheers,
Ed.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Any electrics involved ?
Mine is up/down electric only for the base. Back and forward via lift-up bar, and recline via knob/wheel. No airbag.
Mounting points should be the same as sedan.

Ed zackley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman 3.6
Yeah, all electric seats to go in, but the same as yours coming out. I'm guessing that I will have to modify or get hold of a VX loom or part thereof. I am also concerned about potential airbag issues.
Cheers.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ ........... that would be my direction, but if OP wants all electric with bags ............... above my pay grade.,

Ed zackley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman 3.6
Changing the seat covers is a possibility, but the velour is glued to the steel frame underneath. I'm not sure I want to go down that path.
One big problem is that I don't really know what I have in terms of parts used when it was manufactured. Whether or not it is VZ or VY. Difficult to find a service manual too.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The service manual is a walk in the park.
A quick search and you’ll find a download.
The VZ 06/07 didn’t have different parts. The struts are identical from the start of VZ to the end. I bet they sent VY struts that had the different sway bar link.

Crewman front struts are the same as sedan and wagon. Springs had a slight difference but sedan and wagon springs can be used just fine.

Under the car is the same as one tonner so if your trying to find bits, include one tonner in your searches.

The seat foams are easy to swap over and seat covers are easy too. You might find they aren’t glued. (Unless some muppet glued them as a bodgy fix for something)

The manual link will include VT-VZ. And show you how to completely disassemble the seats down to every screw and bolt.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I say these things as an owner of an 07 Crewman.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, all electric seats to go in, but the same as yours coming out. I'm guessing that I will have to modify or get hold of a VX loom or part thereof. I am also concerned about potential airbag issues.
Cheers.

It would be unusual for the seats in a Crewman to have airbags unless it was an SS. Base model LE0 powered Crewman only had airbags in the dash and steering wheel.
You don’t need to change the wiring, simply swap the base (motor and wiring etc) from yours over to the seats you bought.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The seat foams are easy to swap over and seat covers are easy too. You might find they aren’t glued. (Unless some muppet glued them as a bodgy fix for something)

The seat base covers on my VT were glued. But when the driver's base unglued in places, it looked really rubbish.
I could have bought new foam with glued matching fabric from Holden back then, for many $$$, but a motor trimmer was able to do a better than new job on repairing it for about 1/4 price ............ reshaping foam and adding more support.