Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Been looking for one of these for 12 months.

1F935FAC-7990-433C-8FD3-812E80B503DC.png

The local market has been drier than a nuns. There was one in NSW I missed out on (AP front brakes) but now I'm stoked I did.

In the 12 months I've been looking for one of these, prices have gone UP by around $5k.

Thought a VY2 was going to be all I could get.

Have been getting close to compromising what I wanted.
Has to have leather seats.
Has to have climate control.

Out of no where my wife (bless her) found this egg at an auction... in Melbourne.

If it weren't for the Tasmanian I was bidding against, this would have gone for less. It better have not been @losh1971 :p

Won the auction after entering the bidding with 3 mins left, while in peak hour traffic in Perth.
Exciting stuff.

Have good contacts for transport and is coming to Perth via Ceva cruising the mountainous seas of Bass Straight and the Southern Ocean as I write this.

I've check Vic Roads and it's still licenced there, so it will retain the Vic plates.

Now unless you are under a rock, WA is about to go up against a biased Fed Gov and a big fat c**nt. I've not seen two sides of WA politics united in this state like this fat f**k has done, before. It's unbelievable. We are shitting our selves over here. He has triggered a surge in support for referendum on WA succession. WA Libs will be wiped from the floor in the next fed election thanks to this stunt. Idiots.

I'm of two minds to pull the plates driving this home. If I drive with Vic plates, I'll get stuff chucked at me, I'll get abused and every cop in town will pull me over.
Rather pay $30 and drive with no plates. Also considered leaving the plates on and wearing a full chem suit and face mask while driving home for a laugh.

It's like the episodes of Letterkenny when they go into French Quebec, over here.

My Cross 8 1.jpg

If you know this car, give me a shout. I'd love to know it's story. All my cars have had a story and I'd love this one to be the same.
It has lived on the Mornington Peninsula and Dandenong area.

Has high kms.
Has been cared for, is clean and tidy inside. Good seats.

Wheels will get a re-spray.
Gets a hard lid.
Apple Car play headunit and JBL GTO splits front and rear.
Headlights will be renovated.
Engine covers fixed up.
Trans temp and vacuum gauges added under the headunit.
(Has voltage and oil pressure gauges)
Black Suede roof trim.
Sound proofing.
Black plastidip the logos/badges.
Cams interiors update.

Then the drive train.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Drive Train.

Have considered an LS2 and 6L80E combo with low k's. ~$2500
Problem, need a custom made adaptor housing & shaft between the 6L80E and transfer case.
Pro's:
• Same design is then suitable for BMW 3 series E46 AWD LS conversions
(As they love in Germany/Europe (minus the awd currently)
• I might make some money selling them.
Cons:
• expensive to get a custom made 6L80E rear adaptor housing. (custom made drive shafts are easy). Modify LS2 to suit LS1 ECM.

OR

Refresh LS1 with LSextreme recon package.

OR

Rebuild the motor myself, mild cam (VCM 21) and better internals? Never done an LS. Have done 4 cylinder engine with dad when I was young. Have done parts of Subaru motors and swapped out Holden 202's before. Not scared, would be rewarding, but do I have the time?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, this car will be something I hope me and my son can work on together in the future. Life has thrown him some challenges and he seems to get how cars work, almost to the point of me wondering "he has done this before" kind of thing. It's amazing to see for a 6 year old.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hope that you receive it in as good as condition as it looks and you describe. Mission accomplished.
Please don't paint the wheels black. I got a spare set for mine that were a bit chatty, a light sand and spray with a metallic silver and nobody can notice at at 50kmh from a distance of 5 metres.
There is a recent post here about a red VE steering wheel on a VZ. Just the thing to tart up the interior of a white car. ;)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I posted that red steering wheel :D
The colour combo, not my cup of tea, and more importantly the VE steering wheel looks out of place in the car.

As for the wheels, yes, they will be getting silver paint. Easy to touch up when needed and looks better than black.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ship with my car is coming into port just now. 4 days from Melbourne. About the same as by truck. Ship arrived off Perth early this morning. Has been riding out a punchy storm off the coast and has been parked up behind Rotto all day.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.28.08 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.57.51 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.57.51 pm.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 163

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So. Today I picked up the Cross 8!
The girls at CEVA we’re so lovely. Extra helpful. I found the ship the car came over on with some port detective work and followed it’s movements with live ship tracking. It arrived off Perth on Sunday during a powerful cold front. Came into port on Sunday night.

4 days is all it took by ship from Melbourne to Freo.
GO FREO! (I don’t even like Freo but I know it might **** some Victorians so there’s value in that comment)
1 month since I bought the car nearly.

61990A31-B977-446C-B801-96B1DEE5755C.jpeg

A Victorian car being introduced to some WA wildflowers in the garden.

The girls at CEVA saw the delays in Melbourne and tried to transfer the car to a container and onto the train but it was too late.

This car will be enjoying some WA beaches like Wedge Island this summer. Looking forward to Borranup forest and SW forest roads.

Hoping to get some time on the South Coast of WA and the Stirling’s this year. This car will be great for driving those spectacular gravel roads.

To the person who gave this car up, thank you.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have some JBL GTO 609c’s coming for it. (Front and back, back minus the tweeters on the install)

Will be getting the red hard-lid vinyl wrapped in satin black and transferred to the Cross 8.

There is a fair bit of oil under the bell housing, so guessing a rear main or sump gasket needs attention.

However, I’ll clean it up and see what’s what.

Steering rack looks a bit how ya going.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Next is some exhaust advice and explanation.

LS1. This is the cat back system.
1D1AC97A-397E-449E-914A-4BF494CC7767.jpeg

AEFEA0D8-2818-4823-AD1B-BEB2C087C84A.jpeg

29C04909-64B4-4D63-95E4-E3B2A87A1620.jpeg

211C3B95-C39F-43E6-B05F-DB16FDD39DE8.jpeg

Reactions: Lex