Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Cross8 Strut top gap after new bushes

VK/BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK BT1, VB, VZ Cross8
I'm hoping somebody here can help. I've just replaced the strut top bushes in my VZ cross8 and after reinstalling the struts and taking it off the jack the cap moves up off the tower 5 to 10mm on both sides. I've pulled one back down and double checked the washers and assembly and can't fault it.

Any thoughts? Could the bushes be wrong? They are to fit VR throught to VF and from what I can gather the Cross8 bushes aren't any different to the ones used in these models. They pull up tight when it is on the jack, it's almost as if they are compressing too much when the jack is lowered or the metal tube is too long.

The bushes are Cozza brand (https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-02031)

I'm considering buying some nolathane bushes tomorrow to try them.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its the 6L engine then they are the wrong ones..

This part isn't compatible with Holden Commodore 2005 VZ Ute 6.0 i V8 RWD Petrol 6.0L 8cyl 260kW L76,LS2(364CUV8) 5967cc 260kW (Petrol).

This part isn't compatible with Holden Commodore 2005 VZ Sedan 6.0 i V8 RWD Petrol 6.0L 8cyl 260kW L76,LS2(364CUV8) 5967cc 260kW (Petrol).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Th
I'm hoping somebody here can help. I've just replaced the strut top bushes in my VZ cross8 and after reinstalling the struts and taking it off the jack the cap moves up off the tower 5 to 10mm on both sides. I've pulled one back down and double checked the washers and assembly and can't fault it.

Any thoughts? Could the bushes be wrong? They are to fit VR throught to VF and from what I can gather the Cross8 bushes aren't any different to the ones used in these models. They pull up tight when it is on the jack, it's almost as if they are compressing too much when the jack is lowered or the metal tube is too long.

The bushes are Cozza brand (https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-02031)

I'm considering buying some nolathane bushes tomorrow to try them.
They are the same part, VZ V6 or V8, 4wd or not, Holden didn’t design two different ones for different models.

Good move going urethane. I used SuperPro and was stoked with them.

VK/BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK BT1, VB, VZ Cross8
Hi Trevor, Thanks for your reply. It's a 5.7, I wonder if the break-point between 5.7/6.0 models was clean or if there was an overlap with some of the 5.7's having the alternate setup and part?

All the websites I've looked at so far are suggesting they should fit. I think if there is a difference in the part it would be in the length of the metal tube in the bush. I'll measure new vs old this morning.

VK/BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK BT1, VB, VZ Cross8
Thanks Fu Manchu, sorry I posted the last post before reading your reply.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well they are cheap so maybe they are just junk, like the saying goes you get what you pay for, according to your website you brought them from they say they not compatible for the 6L so only going from what they say.
Just remember going with superPro its a harder compound and they say its a harsher ride.
Your choice I would keep with rubber, I would take down the vin number or type in your number plate on repco or any Auto shop to get the right match.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Just remember going with superPro its a harder compound and they say its a harsher ride.
Yes, this. It will give you a very firm ride at the expense of comfort and longevity.
In fact, this material is so hard-wearing that the plastic bush will not wear, instead the metal that it contacts will (sway bar/pin/collar etc). I'd rather replace a rubber bush every 5 years than replace the component.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If its the 6L engine then they are the wrong ones..

This part isn't compatible with Holden Commodore 2005 VZ Ute 6.0 i V8 RWD Petrol 6.0L 8cyl 260kW L76,LS2(364CUV8) 5967cc 260kW (Petrol).

This part isn't compatible with Holden Commodore 2005 VZ Sedan 6.0 i V8 RWD Petrol 6.0L 8cyl 260kW L76,LS2(364CUV8) 5967cc 260kW (Petrol).

No difference, so don't believe their site....Only difference in the suspension area is springs

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes, this. It will give you a very firm ride at the expense of comfort and longevity.
In fact, this material is so hard-wearing that the plastic bush will not wear, instead the metal that it contacts will (sway bar/pin/collar etc). I'd rather replace a rubber bush every 5 years than replace the component.
I’ve had mine in for some time. In no way does it give a harsh ride. If you drove it and didn’t know, you wouldn’t be saying, “This has Urethane strut tops doesn’t it?” No. No one would say it.
I also removed them recently to do something else and there are no wear marks on the paint or metal after years of use.

Further more, I have never seen any urethane bush wear away the suspension component on any car. I have seen old ones start to crumble as they become brittle. Still outlast rubber.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Strut top assembly's are common from VR to VF, including AWD Commodores.
If there is clearance after re-assembly, there is a washer in the wrong position, or the new strut tops are the incorrect parts.
Superpro make 2 different versions for Commodore.
Urethane, for all out performance, will slightly increase NVH, and will improve your steering.
Polylast, OEM type replacement, blue in colour, but stronger and will last longer.