Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Cruise Control doesn't work after E38 conversion

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
So it turns out I still have one small problem after converting my GTO to run on an E38. The cruise control will not engage.

Symptom: The Cruise Control can be turned On and Off, but cannot be activated:

Troubleshooting steps taken: Using a Tech 2, I am able to determine that the clutch pedal switch, the brake pedal switch, and the extended brake travel switch are all operating normally and I can watch them working in real time. The VSS is sending speed data that can be viewed in real time.

Observed Issue: On the Tech2, if I select Engine ---> GEN IV V8 ----> Data Display ---> Cruise Data, I can see all the values affecting the cruise. There is a value in this menu called Cruise Control Cancel that is always set to Active. This must be what is causing the issue, but I don't know what circumstances would cause it.

Like I said, the sensors work properly. I can see when I turn the Cruise On and Off in this menu, and I can see when I turn the knob on the stalk that I am switching the values for Set/Decel and Res/Accel between Active and Inactive. Anyone know what would cause this Cruise Control Cancel value to always be Active?

EDIT: Figured it out. I had one ECU Pin in the wrong location. Can't figure out how to delete the thread, but everything is resolved.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Don't delete the thread. It’s likely to be helpful to someone.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
So it turns out I still have one small problem after converting my GTO to run on an E38. The cruise control will not engage.

Symptom: The Cruise Control can be turned On and Off, but cannot be activated:

Troubleshooting steps taken: Using a Tech 2, I am able to determine that the clutch pedal switch, the brake pedal switch, and the extended brake travel switch are all operating normally and I can watch them working in real time. The VSS is sending speed data that can be viewed in real time.

Observed Issue: On the Tech2, if I select Engine ---> GEN IV V8 ----> Data Display ---> Cruise Data, I can see all the values affecting the cruise. There is a value in this menu called Cruise Control Cancel that is always set to Active. This must be what is causing the issue, but I don't know what circumstances would cause it.

Like I said, the sensors work properly. I can see when I turn the Cruise On and Off in this menu, and I can see when I turn the knob on the stalk that I am switching the values for Set/Decel and Res/Accel between Active and Inactive. Anyone know what would cause this Cruise Control Cancel value to always be Active?

EDIT: Figured it out. I had one ECU Pin in the wrong location. Can't figure out how to delete the thread, but everything is resolved.
Which pin?