Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Dash Problem (lighting problems)

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
Dash light when I start the car up the temperature gauge the tachometer and both the speedometer and petrol gauge are all not illuminated could anybody give me advice on what the problem is and how to I it I was going to attach a image but it's too large and won't let me upload thank you very much

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Josh

I would look in two places. The first is the headlight switch and the second is loose connections to the cluster. I would check the headlight switch and connections first. I pulled this from the VZ manual.

The headlamp switch incorporates a variable intensity instrument cluster illumination control (slider), and a four-position
switch for off, parking, headlamps on and auto headlamps on switch mode. In auto headlamps on mode, the instrument
cluster illumination is dependant upon whether the lights are on or off.
With the headlamp switch in the OFF position, the MFD illumination (or the trip computer windows if fitted) are set to
maximum backlighting. In any of the other positions, the MFD illumination (or trip computer windows) are controlled by
the illumination slider on the headlight switch.
The slider on the headlamp switch controls the dial, pointer and MFD illumination. Moving the slider varies an input
voltage to the body control module (BCM), which in turn sends an illumination level signal to the instrument cluster via the
serial data communications bus. The instrument cluster interprets the illumination level signal and controls the instrument
clusters illumination level accordingly, refer to Section 12J Body Control Module.

I trsut this points you in the right direction. I found the link to download the manual at https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-service-manual.279960/#post-3063620

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Josh

I would look in two places. The first is the headlight switch and the second is loose connections to the cluster. I would check the headlight switch and connections first. I pulled this from the VZ manual.

The headlamp switch incorporates a variable intensity instrument cluster illumination control (slider), and a four-position
switch for off, parking, headlamps on and auto headlamps on switch mode. In auto headlamps on mode, the instrument
With the headlamp switch in the OFF position, the MFD illumination (or the trip computer windows if fitted) are set to
maximum backlighting. In any of the other positions, the MFD illumination (or trip computer windows) are controlled by
The slider on the headlamp switch controls the dial, pointer and MFD illumination. Moving the slider varies an input
voltage to the body control module (BCM), which in turn sends an illumination level signal to the instrument cluster via the
serial data communications bus. The instrument cluster interprets the illumination level signal and controls the instrument
clusters illumination level accordingly, refer to Section 12J Body Control Module.

I trsut this points you in the right direction. I found the link to download the manual at https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-service-manual.279960/#post-3063620
Hello so sorry for the extremely late reply the headlight switch the illumination control will not work on my car what so ever I hold the switch to increase the brightness but the clusters faces won't light up I don't know to be honest would my BCM be out on it's way this lighting problem only first happend when I installed a VZ calais cluster from my normal SV6 one

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Josh

Is there any way we can discuss this in detail on other social media platforms such messenger will be to send photos and videos as such looking forward your reply

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
first happend when I installed a VZ calais cluster from my normal SV6 one
This at a guess would be your problem?
Did you have the sv6 cluster programmed for your car?

The calais cluster would have features that the sv6 doesn't have.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
This at a guess would be your problem?
Did you have the sv6 cluster programmed for your car?

The calais cluster would have features that the sv6 doesn't have.
well I still have the SV6 cluster in the shed but had taken it out a long time ago I currently have around 243000km on my cluster I went to Lsxtreme in Ballarat to get it programmed to my car and everything was all good for a little until one time I started my car up and the dash wouldn't light up. all features that the calais would show on the cluster that the SV6 did not show which is the little extra features all worked fine and great just really want. to get it back on because its hard to drive at night hah

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
i'd be looking at the headlight switch. Theres heaps a round. A quick change over.
Check all your fuses.
Is the car an ex cop car?

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
i'd be looking at the headlight switch. Theres heaps a round. A quick change over.
Check all your fuses.
Is the car an ex cop car?
well I just brought a black headlight switch today and the mode, set one too and what fuse would they be and where are they located? thank you

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all I think a blown fuse was my problem it's a 7.5 fuse but if it's not it ill post a reply