Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Draining Radiator For The First time

Dawzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey all, im in need of flushing out my radiator havent done it before looking up a whole bunch of stuff online just looking for any tips
do i need to worry about any air being left in there

thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I will be changing the coolant in my coming up 5 years old VE shortly, as that's what the books tell me to do. I should think this will help as they are both Alloytec engines, here goes.

I've bought red NULON coolant that's the correct stuff for it plus distilled water. I intend to drop the bottom hose off the radiator and let it drain. That's it, not messing with anything else.
Will mix 2.5 litres of red coolant with 2.5 litres of the water and after putting the hose back on pour it into the radiator. When it's full, top up the overflow bottle with the dipstick until it's full to the top mark.

The books tell me to do exactly that. There is no bleed screw as per Ecotec. I will be watching things very carefully though for some time after doing it, and probably repeat the exercise again at the end of the year, and that should give me a full coolant change.

The heater will be turned on also to make sure the coolant gets all over.

Experts.................Tell me what I missed PLEASE. Hope that helps DAWZIE.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Make sure you bleed the system when done, start engine and look on top of the raditor above transmission line, you will see a black plastic screw, unscrew it untill coolant leaks out then retighten, top up coolant and repeat this process one more time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
And keep the radiator cap off when bleeding, u will see coolant dissapear, and add more to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Bleed the radiator on the top left hand side, as you are facing the engine. Otherwise you will get air trapped, run it till the thermostat opens, heater on, with the coolant level just running through the filler neck ( you will know when it is flowing properly as you will see it) , open the bleed screw and let out any air top the filler neck up a bit, check the bleed screw again and it should just be hot coolant come out with no air, tighten the bleed screw and top up the filler neck and screw on the pressure cap and THEN top up your over flow bottle. Hope this helps and is clear enough. At the end of it, when you engine is at operating temp and up to pressure, you should have a nice hard top hose, if not look for air!!

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The vz and I think ve has 10-12 l collant capasity if you want to flush it I personally would drain from bottom hose then conect back up fill with water get the heater on high with no fan add more water then open bleed screw on top left of radiator keep filling till water comes out. Let car cool down then drain again when I did this the water was not clear like i Added but was red ish again repeat if wanted then fill back up same as before but with coolant now aswell start car with cap off let warm up then open bleed screw till water flows out the screw tighten back up take car for a good drive when you get back open screw again and if it hisses ad more water be carefull not to over tighten screw as it will brake

Dawzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Thanks guys for all your help ill be doing most of this in the dark so hopefully all goes smoothly. im also trying to work out if iv got a leaking hose or a crack in the radiator or something... thats the main reason im doing this. the car has been running out of coolant quite often but its was happening way more frequently in the past i havent had to fill it for probably the last month when before it was almost weekly. obviously somethings very wrong but im having a hard time finding out whats up... just hoping its not a crack in the radiator.

Oh and the bloke that sold it to me was useing the wrong coolant -_-

Last edited:

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It's easy to do mate as far as loosing collant is there any sign of collant on the front of engine or around the radiator ? There is a common fault with radiator cap stuffing up and causing coolant to go I'd also check where the inlet tube meets the engine above the water pump and the water pump it's self

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Also, take off your serpentine belt and see if the water pump has any lateral play in the pulley or roughness, if so, it is stuffed and replace it now to save costing you all this coolant again. Also check the common culprits, heater tap and pressure cap and when you take off the plastic shroud look at the radiator cores with a torch, see if you can see if there is any seeping.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thanks guys for the extra information. I appreciate it. I'll take a look shortly to find that bleed screw that I felt did was not there.