Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Driveshaft Phasing.

Norm P

Norm P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi guys. I have just replaced the centre driveshaft bearing on my VZ and forgot to mark the front and rear shafts. I put them together randomly and have a vibration at 80-90 kph,
I pulled it back out and noticed it does have factory paint marks but if I align them, the front and rear triangular flanges look to be 180 degrees, (nearly) out of phase. Should I put it in like this or just align the flanges the same, realising that there are still three possible positions for this. Thanks

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
i replaced the extension housing seal on my vy no one mentioned marking the original position hope its all good seems to be ok

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Hi guys. I have just replaced the centre driveshaft bearing on my VZ and forgot to mark the front and rear shafts. I put them together randomly and have a vibration at 80-90 kph,
I pulled it back out and noticed it does have factory paint marks but if I align them, the front and rear triangular flanges look to be 180 degrees, (nearly) out of phase. Should I put it in like this or just align the flanges the same, realising that there are still three possible positions for this. Thanks

The "easy"way is to mark what you have now, and try the other two options, marking as you go. It's 50/50 if you get it right on the first go now...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i replaced the extension housing seal on my vy no one mentioned marking the original position hope its all good seems to be ok

That doesn't matter, the OP actually split the driveshaft which is different to just removing it from the car.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
That doesn't matter, the OP actually split the driveshaft which is different to just removing it from the car.
Thought that might be the case pays to be certain though lucky for me it ddnt need to go back the same phew

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
If you didn't mark the shafts before putting the new bearing on you'd need to get it balanced

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
180 degrees out? Do you mean 90 degrees?

The universal joint trunions (the triangular uni-joint holders) on the driveshaft ends should be in the same plane.

Google an image.

Norm P

Norm P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I put the driveshaft back in aligning the factory paint marks, with the flanges 180 (could be 90) out of phase and vibrations have gone. Just completed a 1000 km road trip and no problems. Thanks for your comments.