Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ecu swap

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hey guys,

So it appears that my ecu in my 2005 manual ssz ute is shagged.

Any idea if an ecu from an automatic would work in my car? Not sure if the tuner/auto electrician can change the parameters through the scan tool.

Having some drama tracking down a suitable replacement ecu but have found a few automatic ls1 ecu’s.

Any help would be great, thanks.

H

harrop.senator

Pay a wrecker Price for a correct manual ones. Dont specifically know about ls1 but all the Holden v6s have different harness pin outs between manual and auto and the entire bin file tunes will be out. Even if it plugs in will be much less hassle and labour to have it working.

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hey mate, thanks for your reply.

I have contacted a few wreckers in the last few weeks with not a lot of success but really had a dig through gumtree and eBay last night and think I might’ve found a few manual ecu’s that may work.

Cheers.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just get the same number yours is and same gearbox, then it will have to be linked up security wise, they may all look the same but there are alot of differences within the tune files from the different years, there is alot more then just the engine tune within them so its best to get one that suits the vehicle

VEME

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman Storm & VE 60th Aniversary
Hey guys,

Any idea if an ecu from an automatic would work in my car? Not sure if the tuner/auto electrician can change the parameters through the scan tool.

Having some drama tracking down a suitable replacement ecu but have found a few automatic ls1 ecu’s.

Hey guys,

Holden will replace the ECU and program it for $1149 with a two year warranty, (2005 Crewman Storm).
I got the quote six weeks ago and and ordered one and the ECU is still not in Australia yet (coming from Korea I was told).
I don't blame my local dealer but as this seems to be a common problem you would think Holden would carry some stock.
I am now concerned about my VE.
After talking to a few "Experts", unfortunately this is the best option if you can wait.
These units are damaged very easily and at $860 a pop the warranty is handy.
Hope this helps.

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Holden will replace the ECU and program it for $1149 with a two year warranty, (2005 Crewman Storm).
I got the quote six weeks ago and and ordered one and the ECU is still not in Australia yet (coming from Korea I was told).
I don't blame my local dealer but as this seems to be a common problem you would think Holden would carry some stock.
I am now concerned about my VE.
After talking to a few "Experts", unfortunately this is the best option if you can wait.
These units are damaged very easily and at $860 a pop the warranty is handy.
Hope this helps.

Hey mate,

I ended up sorting the issue and didn't end up doing the ecu swap.

I had no luck with local mechanics or auto electricians and am an electrician myself so I ended up getting a layout of the ecu and associated modules, figured out the functions and did some testing of my own and narrowed it down to the body control module.

Bought a second hand "mid" bcm for $70 to match the original one and took it to a place as i couldn't link it myself and it fixed the issues, happy days!