Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ electronics are dead but battery is working

Dragunov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hello fellow commie. I have an 04 vz. Had a problem with the electronics. So, at first was preparing to drive to work and as soon I started my car and hit the transmission to drive and the accelerator. I lost all my electronics such as the dash, headlights and my brake system is still locked even though the handbrake is down. It still runs and drives but the handbrake are still locked. So, I turned off my car and left it in the driveway. I started the car again few minutes after and it was the same outcome. 8 hours later, my electronics were dead, like can't start the car and dash not showing odometer. Battery and alternator is working as I was testing the volts. I think it's the fuse or something, but I not too sure. Anything helps at this point.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Your post is confusing.
The battery may test ok but does not mean power is getting to the car.
Start with cleaning battery terminals, both the terminal posts and inside the clamps on the battery leads.
Remove both before cleaning.
Use the correct cleaning tool or at least some emery cloth or course sandpaper.

As to the brakes, no idea

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No idea what’s wrong but asual start with the basics...

Disconnect the battery for half an hour and then reconnect it. This should cause a cold boot of the electronics and things may work after that.

If that does nothing, check the OFF & IGN voltages at the various components (BCM and ECU) using a multimeter. If you don’t get expected voltages, then check the main fusible links which tend to be on the main power cable near the battery.

Other than the above generic outline, I can’t be VZ specific as don’t have one :rolleyes:

PS, it’s always worth looking for a service manual, especially with wiring diagrams as the later can be very helpful in tracing wiring faults. I believe there is a service manual somewhere on the www which is linked to somewhere on these forums; google may help find it ;)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Id check your alternator wiring, had mine fray to the point of only having a few strands of contact on my old vz. Managed to drive it half an hour home but had no electronics, (radio, ac, cluster etc) but had to keep it up above 3000rpm at the lights so it didn't shut off.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check fusible links.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Search VZ Workshop Manual on the forum. I uploaded it. It has VT-VZ and other GM cars as well.
It is the factory one.
Go to post 58 for a link that worked.
It's a big file, takes a while.
With that, you can rebuild the car, panel by panel if you wanted.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It will have step by step instructions on what to check and how.

Either way, the brake thing will be a coincidental fault.

The priority is to get the electronics going and as already mentioned, get to the basics first.
Fuses, relays and of course, the battery and it's condition.
Check the connectors.
All these things cost you no money and require some simple tools like a multimeter.
If you don't know how to use a multimeter, use this guide:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+Use+A+Multimeter/25632#s64987

Info on where the fuses and relays are can be found in the owners manual and in the factory manual uploaded to dropbox.

Acl60708

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2006 190Kw
Similar thing just happen to my VZ Sv6.... when I left home all dash working , I've started car no problems car is running but no temp gauge no speedo no fuel gauge no rpm gauge, it's completely dead , def not car battery it's only few months old, fuses are still all intact , even swapped a few around to make sure they all working , idk what happened but can't see speed I'm doing or know how much fuel is in car?? Not know if it's an expensive fix or what but car has been hard to start for a while like it keeps turning over n then eventually starts maybe related problem but any one know what it is and let me know what to do two fix itand cost would be super helpful

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
gauges dead but car runs is usually over voltage on the alternator
not always, but check first