Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz engine swap (no start) help please

mitch12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i have swapped my 2005 vz 3.6l from a sedan into a 2004 vz wagon (same engine) , after installing the engine it doesn't crank by turning the key but it will crank by bridging the starter relay but wont fire , i have found it is getting fuel but no spark, also the head unit has code 1 come up on the screen and the dash has service vehicle soon, srs, abs and low fuel warnings pop up. has any experienced this before and can lead me in the right direction to fix this problem? thanks

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Did you get the ECU from the old engine?
Is the engine the same type?
Is the auto/manual transmission the same?
Perhaps you need the Tech2 to get everything to match up?
Maybe you need the donor engine ECU/BCM security info etc

Hope you get it going.

mitch12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yes all 3 computers are from the sedan which the engine came from, the auto is the same, and yes i thought thought getting the tecn2 onto it would be a good idea, i also thought the problem could be in the can bus, thanks

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you took the BCM from the sedan, did you swap over the ignition barrel to keep the original sedan key?

if you're using the sedan BCM with the wagons original key the computer will say it is not the right key

mitch12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i kept the wagon ignition barrel but i swapped the wagon key into the sedan remote

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The remote head has security information in it to match the metal ring around the ignition. Swap the key head back.

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
You end up figuring it out mate?

Just swapped the engine in the missus VZ Wagon, 10HBA for 10HBA, after cleaning out the top end and reassembling and reinstalling with the old box from the car, it won't click. Won't even send fuel. When I go to red's it sounds like the TB is clicking weirdly and making a long beeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound until the key is off, but that's ALL it's doing.

Dash is throwing SVS and LOW FUEL warnings at me, but no ABS as far as I've seen...
EDIT: Just went out and checked, SRS and ABS come up but go away, like normal

UPDATE: Forgot to swap ECU's. Yet to fire her up coz it's 3am and I haven't put the tailpipes back on yet, but it turns over so tomorrow I will win!

Last edited:

InSaNe x Cr3aM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE
Same thing happened when i changed mine, need the ecu from original engine and it started first go