Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Engine ticking even though nobody

shrek_2226

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Lumina
Dear Forum

About one month ago I was searching online for vehicles circa $2,000.00. I found a straight, one owner, clean 2005 VZ Commodore, Heron White, Lumina package - the car still looks new and I purchased it after a 5-minute test drive.

The car runs like a brand new car, I have had no mechanical issues however after reading about the timing chain issues I began to listen more carefully to the engine and unfortunately, I could hear "clicking" coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I could not hear the sound at all, the RPM at idle sits just below 1,000 when idling and doesn't make any noise in the exterior/boot of the vehicle.

I am afraid that my just purchased VZ Commodore has the dreaded VZ timing chain error - but when I read the list of affected vehicles, the faulty timing chain occurred only on vehicles manufactured from January 2006 to May 2007. The affected engine numbers are numbers H053340001 to H071380576, my build as well. My VZ Commodore has been serviced on time / at a reputable mechanic, every 15,000 kms.

What else could be making a click, click, click sound upon start-up and running cold? The car has so far been driving from Wollongong to Sydney CBD about 4 or 5 times now and the car handles brilliantly. The noise is intermittent and there are no warnings on the dashboard regarding any impending services and there are no "engine lights" or "check engine service"

Does the timing belt/chain issue get worse as time goes on? As in, if I don't take this vehicle to holden straight away - or can I wait for another 5,000 km (or will I do further damage)?

Timing Chain Issue.PNG

Attachments

• Timing Chain Issue.PNG
    Timing Chain Issue.PNG
    102.8 KB · Views: 247

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I had a purge solenoid ticking until I replaced it.
Rear of passenger side of engine.

Ticking can also be spark jumping, although the engine may miss if that happens.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
another problem with the alloytec is sludging caused by a block pcv and 15000km which is way to long oil changes should be done around 5000-7500km or every 6-9 months
the ticking noise could be lifter or worse as you mention you can get ob2 connecter from ebay and apps on you phone to read any fault codes and clear them

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The ticking could just b the normal injector pulse.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
also idler sprocket