Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mrbissi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack, VZ Coomodore Wagon, WK Statesman
Hi all,
I have 2005 VZ commodore with some issues which I suspect it’s an ECU. I want to confirm that the error messages that are coming up are ECU related.
I have an AUTEL Diagnostics scanner and was able to see the codes and clear the codes.
P0206-00 - Injector 6 circuit malfunction comes intermittently. This problem with the car only lasts for a few seconds. Sometime I can drive for 30km with no problems with out the code coming up. When the code come up the has a rough idle and it corrects itself before doing anything. I have done over 2000KM since first occurred.

P0443-00 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Solenoid Circuit Malfunction has been coming up about 2 years. I have been advised its nothing to worry about as its not going to affect car performance.

When the P0206-00 error started over a 3 month ago
I have seen the following errors once in the 3 months:
P1668-00 - Alternator L Terminal circuit malfunction
P1632-48 Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received

These following errors were coming up a few times over the last 2 years but never had any drivability problems.
18 - (History) ECC Fault Logged
18 - (History) Auxiliary Serial Data Bus Fault
U2100 – (History) No Communication with Can-Bus (High Speed)
19 - (History) EEPROM Error
U2108 (History) Can-bus No Communication with ABS/TC/ESP
U2106 – (History) CAN-Bus No Communication with TCM (Transmission Control Module)
I would like to confirm that this is something that is caused by ECU.
Should the existing ECU get fixed or do I need to purchase a new ECU?
New ECU without programming $1180 + $150 for programming.

I have tested the grounds and resistance and all good. I can replicate the P0206-00 - Injector 6 circuit malfunction code by holding the bottom harness on ECU and applying a little pressure. when I wiggle the wires only there is no problem.

Last time I had an issue with TCM. I asked very reputable Automatics mechanic and few others. They all advised its 100% transmission based on symptoms and error code. My diagnostics was it was the TCM but I have gone by their advice. So I ended up swapping it to find out all it was the TCM gone faulty and ended up paying $1000 more.

Has anyone had similar issues just want to avoid purchasing parts if not required.

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Intermittent faults says more about earthing, voltage drops, and wiring harnesses than a Module.

I know you have tested earth resistance, but go through and physically remove ALL the earths over the car. Clean threads. Clean surfaces.
There is a major earth point behind the battery and remove that. Clean the thread. Clean the pins with a cotton tip and CO Contact cleaner or a small bit of steel wool on a cotton tip. Clean the battery terminals. Clean the main engine earth by removing it and getting oil off and clean the mating surfaces. A small wire brass brush, Scotchbrite, then flush with CO Contact cleaner. The injector harness earth point on the head. Clean it. The earth between the firewall and body that is under the wiper cowl. Clean it. Snug it up.

Clean up the little ECM earth. 7mm bolt. Clean the ECM pins on the harness side and ECM with CO Contact cleaner. Be gentle and careful refitting the plugs.

Make sure the earths are snugged up.

Clean all the relay pins. Replace any relays with brown on the top.

Clean all the fuses.

Those things will cost nothing but some effort.

Get the charge system load tested and the battery load tested. You can buy a Topdon battery health and charge system checker for $40. Battery world will also do it. If the available voltage is compromised across the whole system you get gremlins. If there are poor earths under load, you get gremlins.

Step one is not just testing earthing resistance, it’s servicing/cleaning each earth. It’s a huge elimination.

Yeah you can replace an ECM (good luck finding a new one) but they can only compensate for imperfections for a while and then 2 years later drivers burn out and faults occur again because the actual cause has not been rectified.

Reactions: Lex