Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ exhaust system help!!

dumped vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
I have got a vz sv6 and im not 100% sure on what exhaust to put on i was thinking about extractors with a twin 2.5" cat back and remove the rear muffler any other suggestions.

I have spoken to some people and they say that when your sitting on 80km it has an unbearable droning sound is it true if so how do i stop it from doing this.

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
my bro has a VE sv6 and the drone is so annoying, it's around 2000 - 3000 revs when the droning is at its worst.
people say highways are alright doing a constant speed, but the revs stay around 2000 and makes continuous droning.
i'd still reccomend it though, i mean, it's not that bad in the front seats, but it's annoying in the back seats.

some products have been released, like their is this foam stuff you buy from autobarn which you put under your rear seats and it decreases the loudness of the droning.

sounds mad when speeding haha, sounds tough as nails.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
most people recommend dual 2.25 at the most mate, i couldnt say i havent heard it, but alot of vz exhaust threads on this forum say any bigger and itll droan heaps

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
It's not just a drone either with the dual 2.5". It sounds very 'tinny' when accelerating between 2 -3 thousand rpm which sounds crap and gets really annoying. Personally i wouldn't go over dual 2.25" it just depends on how big your wallet is. If you want to make a lot of noise which sounds good i recommend extractors (paceys, hurricanes it doesn't matter it just depends on price), 100 cell metal cats and dual 2.25". However if you want to save the wallet you can go with hurricane extractors, hi flow cats and single 2.5". This will give you a slight increase in performance whilst giving you a more 'respectable' tone.
Hope this helps

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I recommend the Manta twin 2 1/4" into single 3". Sounds louder and deeper than stock and absolutely no drone.

I can supply extractors, high flow metal cats and the system for $1270 shipped to your door. The cats are universal and will require welding into the system, but the rest bolt straight up.

I am actually doing one this weekend. There is a sound file on here somewhere of one that I have done too.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
This is aimed at anyone who has put a vz ss rear muffler setup onto the stock vz sv6 cats,
Im looking to do the same, but when I looked under the car (2005 190kw sv6) the dual cats merge into a single but it's all welded! I was under the impression one would unbolt and the new ss muffler directly take it's place straight out of thecats???
Thanks

Brane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
I put a VY ss Catback (duel 2 1/4) on my SV6 no rear muffler and it sounds pretty decent even at high revs. Took off the muffler with the stock exhaust originally and it droned like #### and went silent at hight revs so I would imagine the drone on a single or a duel 2.5 would be pretty bad...

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I have single 2.5" with 100cell cats and extractors, single muffler with extra attachable small muffler, without extra muffler only drones at 1200-1600rpm and 2900-3200rpm, highway speed is silent at 2000. With extra muffler i get almost no drone at all, but it makes the exhaust really tinny at high revs, only since i got the cats and extractors.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
I have single 2.5" with 100cell cats and extractors, single muffler with extra attachable small muffler, without extra muffler only drones at 1200-1600rpm and 2900-3200rpm, highway speed is silent at 2000. With extra muffler i get almost no drone at all, but it makes the exhaust really tinny at high revs, only since i got the cats and extractors.

do you have any sound clips or vids of your exhaust mate?

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Just had my second hand vz sv8 2.25 cat back put on my sv6 and I'm very happy, already the car is breathing better, acceleration is much much better with revs building quite quickly. Bit of a burble at idle, silent in low revs and a decent roar in higher revs. Happy chap!!