Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Factory Radio stopped working after reversed leads during a jump start

vz radio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hi all,

I have searched the forum but no luck so I am hoping you experienced members can assist and thank you in advance...

My buddy has a 2005 VZ Commodore with a factory stereo installed. He assisted someone with a jump start but had the cables reversed briefly (not sure if it was his car that had reversed cables or the other car - probably doesn't matter anyway). Since the successful jump start, the radio won't power up. I am planning on having a look at it this week, but wanted to research it prior to speed things up. From the forum I have gathered the following possible troubleshooting tips :

1- Check Radio, Accessory, Cigarette Lighter fuses in the fuse box under the steering column - Are there other fuses in this fuse box that need checking? Is this where the fusebox is in the VZ? Are there any fuseable links / relays / main fuses prior to this fusebox that feed these in the engine bay or elsewhere in the vehicle?

2- Check the stereo unit itself to see if it is loose and not grounding or sitting in the connectors properly

3- Is there a function on the cluster unit that allows you to turn on/off the radio in the odometer screen like some other models?

4- Remove the actual unit and check the 10amp mini-fuse next to the connector on the rear (is there a fuse on the factory head unit??)

5- Last ditch effort - open the unit and check for a blown diode near the power input due to the reversed polarity of power? (Anyone ever done that? Is the first diode near the main power input on the PCB?)

Any other possibilties? I guess similar to other cars the radio needs a constant 12v positive source to keep memory. Is this taken from the fuse box? If this is blown does the entire stereo not turn on? Any other possible power feeds or sources need checking (preferably before removing the head unit)?

Thanks again everyone in advance as I don't have one of these cars myself I can't pre-check these things prior to seeing the problem unit in person.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Mate, I have made the assumption you are trying to fix a sedan/wagon stereo, see details below.

imagejpg1_zps0e856a40.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7015fd3f.jpg

vz radio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
dgp - Thank you very much! As I don't have access to the car at the moment the fuse positioning picture is perfect. I will forward on and ask him to check them. Out of interest, can anyone confirm there is a fuse on the back of the factory fitted radio?
Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yes there is.

ad60garratt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I realise this is an old thread
I have just had this same issue myself and the alternator is not charging and the radio is completely dead.
I am assuming those pictures were really helpful however they are no longer available