Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Flute Placement??!!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there with a VZ SS, or similar, would be abe to do me a huge favour??

I have bought a set of VZ SS flutes of Holmart, recieved them today, but before I hack into my gaurds, just wondering on the placement -

How far up the gaurd does the bottom of the flute start, from the body line/trolley strip protector and
How far from the front door gap does the rear side of the vent start,

Does that make sense?!

Im guessing most of the flutes would be similar if not the same shape, so just those two measurements would be really helpful in placing them close to, if not, in the right spot...

Cheers to anyone that can helpme out!

Josh,

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
just a suggestion..would it be cheaper and easier to buy 2nd hand guards off ebay and get them painted..they are going for cheap enough these days?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
cheaper - no...
easier - yes...

It cost $20 for fibre glass, and over $100 for 1 gaurd, soo.. a bit of a saving there, and I am going to 'smooth' the outer line on the flutes, to neaten it up anyway, so to me fibre glass was the better option..

Thanks for the suggestion, but all I need are those measurements,

Looks like a trip to Holden, with a tape measure is on the cards in the near future...

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
lol walking around a holden dealership with a mini tape measure:p..excuse me sir could i help you with anything..ahh no just helped myself thanks "while tape measure rolls back up* haha i can see it now

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
LMAO, yeah, I was trying to avoid that eyy!
Had that same thought in my head when writing it, lol...

I'll probly end up guessing, just get a close up photo from somewhere, and match it by eye, then measure it and transfer to the other side..

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Because you asked nicely :)

Attachments

• FluteLocation.jpg
    FluteLocation.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,213

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
ahahhh!!

LEGEND danja, thats exactly what I need!

Ive got the same ones, does the black bit in the middle on yours pop out?? mine is just one piece?

That outside line - what seperates the flute from the gaurd, I plan to fill in, fibreglass smooth, aswell as fibreglassing the back really heavily, to try and give it some strength, maybe leave a bit of metal on my old gaurd, to try and get one or two of the clips in...

Thanks again, danja, saved me an interesting trip to Holden with my tape!!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the 50mm one, from the top of the body line, or the bottom?? it kinda looks like the bottom? but not too sure?

Thanks again, now they will be in the right spot!!

And the VE's stockos, have a similar style flute, but with the longer indicator.. all smooth into the flute, like what I want to do!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
ahahhh!!

LEGEND danja, thats exactly what I need!

You're welcome :)

Ive got the same ones, does the black bit in the middle on yours pop out?? mine is just one piece?

No idea sorry, they are the genuine ones that come with the car, I haven't tried to dismantle them.

Is the 50mm one, from the top of the body line, or the bottom?? it kinda looks like the bottom? but not too sure?

Its from the bottom of the recessed part. I'd use the other two measurements, they are more precise. I'm surprised the kit didn't come with a template actually to help you cut the hole!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh cool, will use the other two meausrements then, and just use that as another check point...

Probly if I got the 'weld in' pieces that go into your gaurd, that should come with a template, but I just bought the raw flutes, with flashers and looms, they were only $88 each (complete) with $22 postage upto the coast, from melbourne, so resonable...
The weld in bits are $330 each, I think, so like Escape-The-Fate said, its easier just to buy new gaurds - if you want the line around them, like stock,

Cheers!!