Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ fuel consumption 18.0L /100 help

jack.higgins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My 05' VZ SV6 is showing 18.0L/100. out of a nearly full tank i have tripped 250kms. This is not normal, does anybody have any suggestion to as what the problem is? I have had it checked at a mechanics and nothing was found?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The o2 (Oxygen) sensors are usually associated with poor fuel economy.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
+1 for O2 sensors, they don't always throw codes either, well mine didn't, iit went form 22 ltr per 100 km, down to 15 ltr.

Also check plugs,coils, fuel/air filter, clean maf/throttle body and check for manifold leaks.

vzwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
I had my plugs, fuel and air filter changed and it helped improve my fuel economy it wasn't a drastic change though

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
another +1 for the O2 sensors. give them a good clean out, couldn't hurt to give your MAF a good clean too.
Clean oil counts for a lot too, not sure about it helping with fuel economy but it will certainly help with performance in general.
If you can afford a new Manifold gasket it couldn't hurt to pull it off and clean it out with some carby cleaner and give your throttle body a good cleaning too.
Might not help heaps but its worth a shot?
What kind of fuel are you using?

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I find my vz is in closed loop a lot(using a Bluetooth obd2 adaptor to see its in closed loop). Even under moderate accelerator meaning it's using all the sensors including O2 sensor to control fuel/timing.
If your O2 sensors are buggered then so will your fuel economy. Depending on which model vz you have you may have 4 O2 sensors.

Other than that try cleaning maf, clean air filter, spark plugs, or worse case blocked cats/exhaust.