Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Fuel economy isn't just about L/100k its also about your average speed you travel at to get those figures.
My LS2 fully laden with 5 adults and luggage recently got 11.1L/100k for a trip up the North coast of NSW recently with an average speed of 85+kph and I was happy with that.
But around home in Sydney I struggle to break lower than 18L/100k with only me on board and a really light foot with an average speed of around 23kph.
I usually see around 20L/100k for the same average speed if I drive it normal.

djjase

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
My povo pack VZ is getting around 800 - 900 km on a full tank of fuel using cruise control. The car has been serviced all its life and just had its 135,000 service before the big trip from QLD to VIC. I was very impressed with its fuel economy.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
18l/100km on an alloytech v6 you got something going on wrong there. Doesn't matter how much of a lead foot you might have it should never return that economy.

I'd suggest the car is running far too rich, things that can cause that is the tune (unless you've played with that i doubt that's the case) and the MAF sensor.

I'd check the MAF, if it's sending the wrong signals to the ecu the car might be running super rich using up all your fuel. Umm im not sure what's safe on the alloytech but it might just be a case of pulling your intake pipe apart and spraying some sort of electrical cleaner across the honey comb and sensor, maybe break clean could do the job? It doesn't leave a residue, or even throttle body clean but check with a mechanic first i dont' know how sensitive the components are to those cleaners.

If it was your wiring or dirty socket in the plug to the MAF then you would probably be getting an error beep from the computer but it's still worth spraying some non residue cleaner in both sides of the socket.

Corbs1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6
I reckon COD's right. clean out the honeycomb structure in the MAF. Its deff running far too rich.
get a dyno run (can be done for 50-80 bucks) and find out what your AFR is. (should be 14-15)

But yeh, if the MAF sensor plug was damaged, you'd be getting 'check powertrain' flashing on the LCD screen. I got a shop to install my exhaust n growler CAI, and they didnt plug the MAF sensor back in...got 25-30L/100km on the way home with my new exhaust, felt ripped off coz they said it would improve the fuel economy lol. but plugged the sensor back in, reset the comp and twas as good as new, if not better

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
The highest fuel figures ive got around town is 16-17l/100km & thats giving it an absolute hammering.

Since the 2 hole mod which has been a good 6 months avg fuel around town has dropped from 13.5-14l to around 12.5l. Which i reckon is awesome & thats with an avg spd of 35kmh

the6200

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
I find my 06 SVZ v6 fuel consumption a tad disappointing at about 11.5L per 100km. I travel 30km each way to work, 3-4 traffic lights at most and avoid the peak hours yet the consumption is quite high. Regularly serviced with full synthetic, 98 octane, plugs are good, etc. Even one Holden only specialty mechanic claimed the fuel economy would improve driving it in power mode rather than letting it labor at lower revs but that is false too. My LS3 v8 averages 13L per 100km..

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
I'm getting 15.5ish mostly town driving, giving it regular hidings.