Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

D

David B

Hi

Is any one having a problem with the VZ standard ute fuel gauge not reading correctly?

I reckon with a 70 litre tank at 11l/100 I should be getting around 630 kms per tank. (The computer says so when I fill up as well)

The fuel alarm on the computer is going off at between 350 and 420 k's which by my calculation means I should have used 38 litres leaving 32 in the tank and I should get another 290k's?

I am country/highway driving (automatic) on cruise control 80k's a day round trip.

The gauge needle also seems to be irregular towards the bottom of the tank sometimes reading higher than when it was last switched off (eg on empty when switched off and then on a 1/4 when restarted .

Any ideas?

Thanks

S

smpeno

fuel gauge not real accurate

i have a vz s pack ute and the other day the empty warning came on and i had 70 kms to go which is about 8 litres in the tank but i only put in 44 litres.

i havent worked out how accurate the L/100kms is but in the motor mag the said is was roughly 2 litres out. i wouldnt use it as a accurate measurement but more of a guide to the different amounts of fuel used at different speeds and gears.

my fuel gauge seems to move only when u turn the car off and then on again. when your driving u dont notice it move.

there definitely is a problem a accuracy problem with the gauge but nothin to cry over.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I know the VYs had problems with their gauges. Could this be the same problem?

.....Torana plays X-Files music.....

V

VZ SV8

A mate of mine has an SV6 and has also been experiencing an accuracy problem with his fuel gauge. He took it back to Holden for an unrelated problem and when they hooked it up to do the diagnosic the tech said it had the VY program loaded into it and not the VZ one. He is waiting to see if this was the cause of the fuel gauge problem.

vz2004

Reaction score
I have seen this before, its got to do with the computer calibration.
Becomes out of spec.

Its a fairly common fault
has to be taken back to holden to be recalibrated.
the new crewman also come out with fault.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
My VZ was in today to have the program updated (To fix a few bugs) and the fuel gauge was the main one. They recalibrated it & this was supposed to fix the problem mentioned above.

The update was also supposed to fix th 10,000 instead of 15,000 service interval reminder screw up, but I wont know till next week 13,800k's on it now lol

Dave

V

VZute3.6

Ive got a standard VZ 3.6 ute and im havinf the same problems with it...it S#@ts me big time seein how its brand new, i took it back to holden and they said it was workin fine. thats was a load of crap cause it aint..im just goin to drive it till it runs out and see how many KMS i get to a tank

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Same with my fuel gauge

Have just purchased an S ute and have been very surprised with the fuel economy. I travel mainly from Bowral to Sydney, do some surbaban running and then go home.

Fuel consumption is usually under 10l/100kms and even managed to get it down close to 8 on a Bowral to Sutherland trip.

At my age fuel consumption seems to be the thrill rather than how quickly I get from A to B (I need my licence too)

My low fuel warning gets excited around 400 kms and I have not yet managed to put 40 litres in the tank to fill it up.

Drove Sydney Bowral this week showing 28 km to empty when I left, After 103 kms it read 25 km to empty.

Fill it up and it shows 700km to empty.

Owned a VB Commodore many years ago and this is my first return to Holden after many years of good experience with Toyotas.

Pretty happy overall with my new toy. BLack and onto the dirt roads at less than 500kms on the clock so it will live a proper ute's life.

And Holden can recalibrate the fuel gauge at the first service. Annoying little thing but I'm not doing without the vehicle for a day just for that fix.

Just hopes its not an omen of things to come.

By the way my S ute came with 17 wheels (no extra cost). Is this standard or was I just lucky.

S

smpeno

old mans ute said:
By the way my S ute came with 17 wheels (no extra cost). Is this standard or was I just lucky.

I have a s ute too and it has 17's, i thought i was lucky but another s ute sitting beside it had 17's too. mine is an 05 plate so i think it's a 05 thing