Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

VZ05SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Bought a VZ SV6 a couple of months ago, has this issue. It’s done over 100k kms so can only assume it’s always been there and the previous owner simply put up with it (or only ever parked on completely flat surfaces!).

Made a few calls, it’s well known within the industry, it’s a design fault, I’m definitely no techo but the most basic explanation I’ve had is the float simply sits in the wrong spot which makes it inefficient, so when you’re parked on a hill with the car tilted in either direction it’ll throw the reading right out.

Basically a fix involves replacing the whole lot which is a costly exercise.

It happens as soon as you get below half a tank. I’ve found if you drive along for a few kms on a flat road it evens out the needle finds its true spot. Absolute pain in the arse because your true spot may well be almost empty, think you just have to know your car and driving and typically how many kms you’ll get to a tank. That’s a Holden for you, it’s far from an engineering masterpiece… let alone a minor component like a fuel gauge!

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
I'm sure that i read somewhere that vt commodore cost millions of dollars to redesign the car... and again on the ve.... I wonder how much extra it would have cost if they decided to fix the decade old fuel gauge problem??

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
We still have nothing on this? No one has had the dodgy gauge fixed?

What I can't understand is how does a gauge work perfectly for 135,000kms and then all the sudden start going nuts everytime you go under half a tank of fuel? There must be a simple sensor or something that has just packed it in?

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
yeah Im keen for a fix too but given the thread was started 6 years ago I dont like our chances of getting a nice easy cheap solution anytime soon.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
yeah Im keen for a fix too but given the thread was started 6 years ago I dont like our chances of getting a nice easy cheap solution anytime soon.

I still can't believe no one has any answers to this... The short term fix has been keeping the tank full - seems to be more a curate with a greater amount of fuel in the tank...

Anyone?

rog.0005

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ute
i bought a 2005 vz commodore Ute about 5 months ago and im experiencing the same problem. ive had the fuel sender changed and the gauge re calibrated just 2 days ago, hasn't done anything. on empty mine will take 33 liters to fill so it should be showing just over half. its really pissing me off cause i got a 104 km round trip to work from home. i really need to know how much fill i got. i carry a jerry can round with me now. i just want it fixed!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
yep i just bought a CV8z, i hate this Fault!

wish there was a fix as it will be in with holden again soon for some other fixes.

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
I have the same issue on a 04 vz v6 ute. it says im on empty and only 10kms left in the tank. I refill and only fit about 40ltrs in.. i know its atleast a 64ltr tank so i should easily have another 100kms until empty around town. also i could drive 300kms in one go and on a full tank the needle wont budge and my distance until empty wont waver. But as soon as the engine is stopped and turned back on the needle (on flat ground) will show the true level which is like half way. So its not adjusting while im driving on a full tank?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Anyone at all got a Solution?

Im having the same problem. I fill the car up til the bowser clicks about 10 times. Jump in, the Gauge is reading F. But when i go though the electronic setting it says there is only 50L in the tank and not 75L? This could prob be why im only getting 300kms out of a tank. Maybe the gauge is reading Low fuel when in reality its got 20L left....

Ive had mine to the VERY LOW FUEL SIGN comes up. Ive NEVER put more the 55L in at the pump?

Is there a software upgrade that im missing?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I dont know wether I have a revised sender or what in the thunder but when I fill up and check it by the mode/set button, it actually says I have 75 out of 75lt in the tank and honestly seems to be quite accurate; (touch wood ):bomb:
I know when we had a new VX wagon that I ran out and the gauge read 1/4 tank,next week a recall letter from Holden came and they put a whole brand new sender assy in.In my vy ute Ionce had it went in several times for the gauge or sender to have the latest software flashed in to it whilst under warranty.This made it alot more accurate but honestly you wouldnt trust it.With the VX it was only a week earlier and the wife and I were up in the Northern Rivers area running around and crossing ferries on the Clarence river and at one stage the low fuel light came on and said we had 80km to empty with no problem.Got me stuffed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!