Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Gen 111 5.7 crankshaft

peter55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 5.7 6sp manual
Hi folks, I'm new to the site, not super technically minded, so be kind! I have a VZ SS 5.7 6sp manual ute, 140,000km and I love it.
After some advice please.
I've had a 'mechanic' attempt to replace my clutch (noisy thrust bearing, so doing the whole lot).
In an attempt to remove the old spigot bearing, which was stuck, he pressed dry lube into it, punched it etc etc, and it appears (although the team of mechanics are being a bit evasive) that in doing so he has punched the welch plug at the end of the crank out (not into the crank, the welch plug is out) and the dry lube (lots) has gone into the crank (he kept forcing lube in, grrr).
Gearbox, clutch, flywheel etc is as yet not bolted up.
If I get them at this point to take off the front crankshaft bolt, is there the chance/is it even possible that we can blow through/wash through the crank or something to remove the bulk of the lube, then bolt everything back up, fill with oil, run until warm, add an engine flush, then change oil again....?
Or is it crank out?
Obviously I want to avoid getting any dry lube into the oil galleries by starting it before attempting to get some/most out. I know it dissolves when hot, but.....you can understand my concern.

I await responses nervously....and many thanks in advance.
Peter.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Maybe ask the question over on the LS1 forum, they may know a bit more about the problem, from what I have read forcing the spigot out using the method the mechanic has tried is a big no no on an LS1. Link below that may help.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike

peter55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 5.7 6sp manual
Thanks guys. We found a tech drawing and the plug goes to the sump which means it wasn't so much of a drama, so after reassembly we fired it up, knowing that the dry lube wax would dissolve in the sump with heat and not get through the oil pick up in lumps. Got it warm then drained it (oil was a golden colour) then refilled and got it hot and drained again (oil looked normal this time) and then refilled. Don't seem to have any issues, but will run it for a week and then flush again just to be sure.

Yeh, they NOW know not to remove the spigot like that.....just my luck to be the guinea pig!!

peter55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 5.7 6sp manual
So, seems to be running well, quite a different feel to the clutch, much lighter, but now that I'm use to it I quite like it.
I do have a bit of chatter that sounds like gearbox when first lifting the clutch from idle and pulling away, no noises at all during normal acceleration and gear changing, just pulling away from idle. I'm told this is normal for these boxes? Might be my imagination, but seems worse when cold.
We changed the gearbox fluid (ATF as recommended) and put in some additive (Penrite Lubrizoil as recommended).
Cheers
Peter.