Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ glove box barrel lock is making me lose my ****

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
What point is the wreckers lock if you don't have a key for it ?
Or are you wanting to use your barrel and key in the wreckers lock housing ? If so, I thought the locks were sealed.

There was a bloke wrecking a VY at New Year. Don't know if they are the same.
He is behind Aldi but don't know if he still has parts.
There is no point in having the one from the wreckers. I purchased it Friday on my way to work and by the time I got home and actually looked at it is when I realised it had no key to it and the wreckers were closed. So I thought I could use my barrel and key and put it in the lock housing from the wreckers. I'm assuming that if I call them on Monday they wont be inclined to give me my money back if they dont have the key for it so I'm trying to figure out plan b if they refuse a refund.

So you dont think I can remove the barrel lock from the wreckers and put my barrel lock and key in it?

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Does your lock still work?
If so, just put it in the glove box from wreckers. Then reassemble & fit to car. Job done.
I don't think you will need a dremel.
You didn't need a dremel to disassemble it, did you?
Sounds like your nearly finished.

My lock works its the lock housing that doesn't. It latches and stays closed but there is a plastic piece broken off on the handle that is preventing me from locking it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Glove Box Lock 001.JPG

Glove Box Lock 001.JPG
What point is the wreckers lock if you don't have a key for it ?
Or are you wanting to use your barrel and key in the wreckers lock housing ? If so, I thought the locks were sealed.
My lock works its the lock housing that doesn't. It latches and stays closed but there is a plastic piece broken off on the handle that is preventing me from locking it.
Here is a pic of the other side of the lock mechanism.
If any one knows how the lock comes out of the housing speak now.

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Yes that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I appreciate the pic it helps show what I'm talking about. I couldn't get the one I took to load

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yes that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I appreciate the pic it helps show what I'm talking about. I couldn't get the one I took to load
The lock mechanism I have has no key.
If I had one with a key I believe I would be able to get the barrel out.
There are spring tabs on the side of the barrel I can see and these are probably holding the barrel in place but without a key I am not about to maybe butcher my mechanism..

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
I believe the key is what I need to remove it and then there is no point in removing it haha

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Might be worth a call to Sunco Holden tomorrow and ask if the lock barrel and key is sold separate to the handle piece.
May be all one item.

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Might be worth a call to Sunco Holden tomorrow and ask if the lock barrel and key is sold separate to the handle piece.
May be all one item.
You can buy the barrel and lock only brand new in holden packaging on Ebay. I think I'll call the wrecker first just in case he has the key and forgot to give it to me, if not then I'll ask for a refund but I'm sure he probably wont refund. Guess we will see. Thanks for all the suggestions!