Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ glove box barrel lock is making me lose my ****

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Ok so the latch on my vz glove box broke and doesn't lock anymore but it does latch. Because I transport an autistic kid home that likes to go through my glove box and throw things around while I'm going 110 down the highway I decided to pick up another glove box at my local wreckers. Turns out it didnt come with a key and the wrecker isnt open on weekends so I thought I could just use my barrel lock and key off my old glove box. Um no that what a big fail because I dont know how to get the barrel lock out of the new one, its encased in plastic!. I tried everything to get it out and considered setting it on fire or blowing the stupid thing up but then my female money conserving mind kicked in and I thought why not ask the guys on the justcommodores forum. So here I am asking if any of you fine people know how to remove the barrel lock from this pretentious a hole of a glove box?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Leave the barrel in the lock, then just remove the lock.
Mat have to disassemble the inside of the glove box.
I have a vt & have disassembled it before.
Lots of screws.
Before you do this, make sure your key & the lock still work.

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hey Lex thanks for that. I already have both glove boxes torn apart. The issue is with the latch on my old one, there is a piece broken off that makes it so it latches but doesn't lock. So I figured I could take the latch from the new one and out my barrel lock in it and attached it to my old glove box and all would be right in the world. Not so as I cant get the barrel lock out of the new latch to put my lock in it. I'm assuming i need the key in order to remove the lock from the latch.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Lex thanks for that. I already have both glove boxes torn apart. The issue is with the latch on my old one, there is a piece broken off that makes it so it latches but doesn't lock. So I figured I could take the latch from the new one and out my barrel lock in it and attached it to my old glove box and all would be right in the world. Not so as I cant get the barrel lock out of the new latch to put my lock in it. I'm assuming i need the key in order to remove the lock from the latch.
Look inside, can you see all the screws? They have to be undone on both glove boxes to be able to get to the locks.
Have you done this step yet?

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Yes I took them both apart and have removed the handle from the new one so I could try and get the lock out of it. I have a pic but it wont let me post it

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ok so the latch on my vz glove box broke and doesn't lock anymore but it does latch. Because I transport an autistic kid home that likes to go through my glove box and throw things around while I'm going 110 down the highway I decided to pick up another glove box at my local wreckers. Turns out it didnt come with a key and the wrecker isnt open on weekends so I thought I could just use my barrel lock and key off my old glove box. Um no that what a big fail because I dont know how to get the barrel lock out of the new one, its encased in plastic!. I tried everything to get it out and considered setting it on fire or blowing the stupid thing up but then my female money conserving mind kicked in and I thought why not ask the guys on the justcommodores forum. So here I am asking if any of you fine people know how to remove the barrel lock from this pretentious a hole of a glove box?

I had a similar problem on an Astra glovebox.
Do you have a Dremel?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yes I took them both apart and have removed the handle from the new one so I could try and get the lock out of it. I have a pic but it wont let me post it

What point is the wreckers lock if you don't have a key for it ?
Or are you wanting to use your barrel and key in the wreckers lock housing ? If so, I thought the locks were sealed.

There was a bloke wrecking a VY at New Year. Don't know if they are the same.
He is behind Aldi but don't know if he still has parts.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont but I'm pretty sure I know where a dremel lives that I can borrow for a bit
Does your lock still work?
If so, just put it in the glove box from wreckers. Then reassemble & fit to car. Job done.
I don't think you will need a dremel.
You didn't need a dremel to disassemble it, did you?
Sounds like your nearly finished.