Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ glove box barrel lock is making me lose my ****

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Firstly -Yes you need to have the Key to remove the barrel from the plastic housing

They are Obsolete from holdens, some sellers on ebay still have limited stock of new key and barrels, but there not cheap

Instructions Posted below in a PDF file

Attachments

• VY Glovebox Install.pdf
    513 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Angel Walsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Firstly -Yes you need to have the Key to remove the barrel from the plastic housing

They are Obsolete from holdens, some sellers on ebay still have limited stock of new key and barrels, but there not cheap

i have uploaded the instruction now, see attached pdf below
Thanks so much for the diagram. I didn't have the key so I called the wreckers and they ended up finding one with a key. They charged me an extra 10 bucks to swap it for the one I had already purchased from them without the key haha. I paid the extra and went on my merry way, problem solved. I am keeping that diagram for ^just in case'. Thanks so much

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

i have uploaded the instruction now, see attached pdf below

I cannot get it to open.
What am I doing wrong ?

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
when i purchased my ute a few months back its didnt come with a glovebox key,

I manged to find a complete glovebox cheap with a key but after using it a few times it started to stick really bad. so decided to replace it again. I rung alot of wreckers they said there very hard to come by, I also rung holdens and they told me replacement barrels and keys were obsolete so ended up buying the replacement barrel and key off ebay. while it was in the post i thought i'd try to remove the old barrel from the plastic locking mechanism, using the instructions i posted above. this was made more difficult as the key was now stuck and when it did free up it wouldnt release the barrel out the plastic mechanism - i did eventually get it but it took a few hours.

Meanwhile i went past another wreckers by chance and they had just got a car with 2 matching glovebox keys so i ended up buying and using that glovebox and kept the new barrel as a spare

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
when i purchased my ute a few months back its didnt come with a glovebox key,

I manged to find a complete glovebox cheap with a key but after using it a few times it started to stick really bad. so decided to replace it again. I rung alot of wreckers they said there very hard to come by, I also rung holdens and they told me replacement barrels and keys were obsolete so ended up buying the replacement barrel and key off ebay. while it was in the post i thought i'd try to remove the old barrel from the plastic locking mechanism, using the instructions i posted above. this was made more difficult as the key was now stuck and when it did free up it wouldnt release the barrel out the plastic mechanism - i did eventually get it but it took a few hours.

Meanwhile i went past another wreckers by chance and they had just got a car with 2 matching glovebox keys so i ended up buying and using that glovebox and kept the new barrel as a spare

That's a really lovely story.LOL
It's the bloody pdf for the instructions I cannot open..

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
That's a really lovely story.LOL
It's the bloody pdf for the instructions I cannot open..

worked fine for me, but its comments like that make me wonder why i bother posting at all....

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
worked fine for me, but its comments like that make me wonder why i bother posting at all....
Sadly sometimes the written word can be misconstrued, which has happened in this case, as I was taking the piss from me not you.
When I said above I cannot get it open, I was referring to the pdf not the glove box but of course it can be read more than one way.
My apologies for unwittingly upsetting you.
Funny enough on a different pc today, the pdf opened straight up.
Thank you again for the post.

Mitch087

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ MALOO R8
Ok so the latch on my vz glove box broke and doesn't lock anymore but it does latch. Because I transport an autistic kid home that likes to go through my glove box and throw things around while I'm going 110 down the highway I decided to pick up another glove box at my local wreckers. Turns out it didnt come with a key and the wrecker isnt open on weekends so I thought I could just use my barrel lock and key off my old glove box. Um no that what a big fail because I dont know how to get the barrel lock out of the new one, its encased in plastic!. I tried everything to get it out and considered setting it on fire or blowing the stupid thing up but then my female money conserving mind kicked in and I thought why not ask the guys on the justcommodores forum. So here I am asking if any of you fine people know how to remove the barrel lock from this pretentious a hole of a glove box?

I just replaced mine, I put a 4mm drill bit through the centre of the barrel from the back. I also drilled the part of the barrel that had a tab stopping it from coming out. New barrel is in and working as it should.