Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Have discovered accident damage a year later.

Rusty63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
After buying my VZ from a dealer a year ago yesterday I discovered big impact damage in the cross member under the radiator. It seems it has had a front end impact and has been semi repaired, but not the cross member. They have put the bumper on it which conceals the damage unless you dive right under the car. My question is " Do I as consumer have any rights in this instance? " given that the accident wasn't disclosed to me when I brought the car. Any advice would be appreciated ...thank you :doh:

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
If you bought it from a dealer, very much so. Although, its been a year - who's to say you didn't do it. That will be their argument, at least. I'd recommend running it by them, and seeing what they say, then take appropriate action.

Your best bet, if they're less than helpful, is to contact some governing agency, get a case number, and quote that to the dealership. The last thing they want is the drama, so they may fix any damage, give you a free service, something to shut you up. But, generally, I think you're out of luck, because it so easily could have been you who did the damage.

Your other option is to get your hands on records of an accident (if recorded), or something that prices the damage was done BEFORE you purchased the car. That way you have a case. 'Buyer beware' doesn't apply to dealership purchases, generally, they have rules they have to follow.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Bad luck, hopefully you have learned something from your experience.

If the dealer acquired the vehicle after it had been repaired, what liability do you think they will have ? None. I guess it really comes down to 'buyer beware'. Did you have the vehicle undergo a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic, workshop or Auto Club ?

paddingtontv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE WAGON 06
VZ Mechanical problem purchased from a dealer

Hi. I purchase my VZ two weeks ago 14/13 it was built 08/06 from a car yard, it was a trade in. It had the power train error displayed which they said was the O2Y sensor i said they would have to get rid of the error or reset it which they did. I purchased it with no warranty for $4500, it was ok for 3 days. I replaced the radiator and battery, but now the power train light has come back on. I have had it reset a few times at garages, but P0018 the intake crankshaft possible position and P0522 and P0521 which are Oil pressure sensor and oil sensor low voltage will come back on, which could be the timing cam which holden have estimated $3500, $2000 for parts $1500 labour Other estimate are have been priced at approx $2300 total. do you would have any come back from the car yard?? Ron

paddingtontv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE WAGON 06
I contacted the fair trading twice just to make shore, they told me they do have to sell the car working correctly or tell me the faults, they told me it was only the Oxy2 sensor, which there mechanic tested using his Tech2 tester, but he did not show me the print out.
The codes when i checked them out yesterday were P0018 = not present, P0521 PRESENT and P0522 not present. I put the oil sensor in last night, but the power train engine light still came on and it was starting to rain could not do much more. So this morning i was going to get the Tech2 on it to reset the codes. But then after driving for 10 mins I looked down and no power train light everything was working ok.
I got it tested today and its P0018 = not present, P0521 = NOT PRESENT and P0522 = not present. I can not be shore the oil sensor fix the problem, buts it done 30klm so far. So i will have to see how it go's, what do think code P00521 replace oil sensor is it fixed or not? Regards Ron.