Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Headlight & Mode switches not illuminating on changeover

dergy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Crewman
I have a VZ SV6 Crewman (07), tricked a little but not under the bonnet.

I'm in the process of upgrading the dash & clusters, one of the "fun" things is the lighting switches.

My old ones are pewter color and they illuminate when headlights are on. I'm switching them to black, and I have some black ones sourced from a VY S2. While they function correctly, these ones do not illuminate with headlights on.

They were bought second hand from ebay, and the seller says they did illuminate for him (of course). I also had a 2nd black headlight switch from another seller, and that does not illuminate either. Put my pewter ones back in and hey presto - so its not a fuse or anything.

Is there a wiring difference I'm not understanding ?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I did the black upgrade to my VZ - all I did was replace the switch with the black cover and used the original guts of the switch. Did the same for the trip control switch and all work no worries.

dergy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Crewman
Thanks 88GreenVN for your reply.

I never thought to just change the covers. Is there a trick to it? I tried for 1/2 hr to pull the dang thing apart, but my swear jar became full and i couldn't continue.

any guidance appreciated.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
From memory you open the 4 clips at teh back of the switch with a small sharp point flat blade screw driver. Then take the shaft out with a little force.

The washer is keyed so it cant go the wrong way around. The paddle part of the switch on the shaft is opposite the switch connector (this make the switch click between modes).

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Now the question is, how could you get the 'cover' without having to pay for the whole switch?

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Become a thief?

Too much effort and risk involved to get a black switch.. on another note.. noticed only half my switch lights up... other half is black/off... busted led?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The_blur

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Hi guys, digging up this thread. I have a vz exec and changed my headlight switch to the one with the foglight knob. The original is pewter color and does not have illumination. I bought the headlight/foglight switch and confirmed that it has illumination. I plugged it in and it didn't light up whichever way the key and switch is set to. I got curious and opened up the original pewter switch and to my surprise there are four bulbs in it. I checked my friend's vy (base model i think, no fog knob) and his has illumination!

How do I fix this? All along the pewter switch is supposed to light up right? because it has the bulbs. Or do vz execs have missing/different wiring that takes out the illumination?

I traced the bulbs from the switch pcb and they are connected to the brown-blue and the grey wiring on the plug. Fuse is good (f12-7.5), all other buttons in the dash and center console are lit up.

Please help