Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Headlights

B

bdcmedia

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you who may have a VZ that has stock driving lights installed like the SS, had any trouble with other drivers flashing their high beams at you at night cos they must seem that your lights are too bright?

I get this almost every week as I drive up the highway to Ballarat. I spoke to my Holden dealer and they seem tho thisnk that it is fairly normal for driving lights to seem a little too bright to other drivers on country roads.

Anyone know any different?

Thanks

Brett

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
They are actually 55W Fog Lights. Mine are pointed pretty low & dont reach as far as the normal low beams, but give a good spread of light to the sides, so yeah I normally leave them on.

In NSW it's quite legal to drive with them on, but if they are aligned wrong then expect a warning or defect. I never turn mine off & they come on at dusk in Auto. The animals on country roads need all the help you can get with seeing them, so thats my excuse :)

I got my lamps adjusted as the drivers side one was pointing directly at an oncoming car when I picked up the car. NFI how they did it, but I think it may have simply been the globe was not in properly.

Oh, and I do get the occasional flick of lights, but a quick blast of the highbeams fixes that too :)

MySV6

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
I take it you are talking about low beam only. The SS uses a fancy single filament H11 55W bulb. The others, such as my SV6 use a normal dual filament H4 60/55W bulb. I haven't had a problem. That's not much help to you, is it?

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
daviddth said:
They are actually 55W Fog Lights. Mine are pointed pretty low & dont reach as far as the normal low beams, but give a good spread of light to the sides, so yeah I normally leave them on.

In NSW it's quite legal to drive with them on, but if they are aligned wrong then expect a warning or defect. I never turn mine off & they come on at dusk in Auto. The animals on country roads need all the help you can get with seeing them, so thats my excuse :)

I got my lamps adjusted as the drivers side one was pointing directly at an oncoming car when I picked up the car. NFI how they did it, but I think it may have simply been the globe was not in properly.

Oh, and I do get the occasional flick of lights, but a quick blast of the highbeams fixes that too :)

MySV6

DAVIDDTH, I thought of doing that too but the fog light indicator on the instrument panel remains full on bright even when the instrument panel is dimmed. It's fairly annoying. Have you found a way to dim it or do you just put up with it?

Also, while the Owner's Manual talks of how to operate the fog lights and how to replace globes elsewhere, there is no mention of how to replace the fog light globes. I guess Holden have slipped up there.

R

RKZ234

MySV6 said:

MySV6

Actually this exact issue has been discussed in another 2 threads in this site. I've researched this subject thoroughly and I can assure you 100% IT IS AN OFFENCE TO USE FOG LIGHTS AT ANY TIME, UNLESS THERE IS FOG/MIST. I've confirmed this applies to VIC, NSW, QLD, SA & WA and assume it is an offence everywhere else too.

In NSW the section covering use of Fog Lights is;
ROAD TRANSPORT (SAFETY AND TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT) (ROAD RULES) REGULATION 1999 - SECT 55

55 Lights on motor vehicles generally

A person must not cause or permit:
(a) any fog light affixed to a motor vehicle on a road to be lighted except in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

The offence in NSW is "Unlawful use of lights."

PS. Darkness isn't an atmospheric condition or a justification for using Fog Lights.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks for clearing that up RZK. I've been wondering about that, but never got around to checking it out.

Hmmmm - well, like a few others I find that on unilluminated roads (ie- no streetlights) that the fog lamps really help to light up the sides of the road. Certainly helpful when it comes to avoiding errant wildlife! They don't really point upwards, if they did they'd be useless as "fog" lamps anyway!

When I have used them I have gotten the odd flash of beams from cars in the opposite direction - some who simply don't bother to dip their lights at all! As mentioned though, a shot of high beam from my way soon cures that! :yeah: As soon as I get into residential areas though I turn them off, as the roadside is generally well enough lit by the streetlights anyway.

If it's unlawful, why aren't I hearing stories of people being booked for this? I'm not doubting what you say at all RZK - it's just that almost everyone who has fog lamps fitted is using them at night - and many even during the day. Are the wallopers simply turning a blind eye? (so to speak!) Is it possible that when properly adjusted fog lamps don't really shine into oncoming driver's eyes, as do high beams, and therefore the practice is overlooked?

Still, it makes me wonder if I should take the risk - it might be better to not see the 'roo/dog/whatever at the roadside until he's right in front of me. It seems a bit stupid really - if the use of these lights can help drivers identify potential hazards on "country" roads wouldn't this avoid accidents, without affecting other drivers to any great extent?

Still, there's not an abundance of common sense in most of the regulations and laws we see nowadays....

R

RKZ234

Phreddy said:
Thanks for clearing that up RZK. I've been wondering about that, but never got around to checking it out.

Hmmmm - well, like a few others I find that on unilluminated roads (ie- no streetlights) that the fog lamps really help to light up the sides of the road. Certainly helpful when it comes to avoiding errant wildlife! They don't really point upwards, if they did they'd be useless as "fog" lamps anyway!

When I have used them I have gotten the odd flash of beams from cars in the opposite direction - some who simply don't bother to dip their lights at all! As mentioned though, a shot of high beam from my way soon cures that! :yeah: As soon as I get into residential areas though I turn them off, as the roadside is generally well enough lit by the streetlights anyway.

If it's unlawful, why aren't I hearing stories of people being booked for this? I'm not doubting what you say at all RZK - it's just that almost everyone who has fog lamps fitted is using them at night - and many even during the day. Are the wallopers simply turning a blind eye? (so to speak!) Is it possible that when properly adjusted fog lamps don't really shine into oncoming driver's eyes, as do high beams, and therefore the practice is overlooked?

Still, it makes me wonder if I should take the risk - it might be better to not see the 'roo/dog/whatever at the roadside until he's right in front of me. It seems a bit stupid really - if the use of these lights can help drivers identify potential hazards on "country" roads wouldn't this avoid accidents, without affecting other drivers to any great extent?

Still, there's not an abundance of common sense in most of the regulations and laws we see nowadays....

I have no doubt that fog lights asssit in providing you some extra light, but so does a set of driving lights. But that's not the point. The point is, that there are rules regarding their use and the practice of using fog lights when there isn't any fog is illegal. End of story.

As to why Police aren't booking people. I know for a fact they are. But I'd agree with you that people are booked for the offence far too infrequently, as it is clear from the responses on this site alone, that there's a lot of ignorance about the law on this issue.

Or maybe people aren't willing to admit being booked for the offence, but I know people are.

As for properly adjusted foglamps not blinding people. Not possible. The fog light lens projects light forward at approximately 170 degrees in a circular beam. To adjust the light as you suggest (so as to avoid projecting light into oncoming drivers eyes) would in fact mean you would need to rotate the light assembly approximately 90 degrees towards the bitumen due to the lens design, which is defeating the purpose of having the lamp.

Fog lights are 55w or less, designed to cast diffused broadbeam light over a short distance to penetrate fog.

Driving lights are greater than 55w (usually 100w, but can be more) and designed to project a narrow beam of light over a large distance in front of the vehicle and are most effective in crystal clear conditions.

So whilst they both emit light, they are totally different in thier lens design, power outputs as well as thier intended conditions of use, hence the differnt legislation governing their use on pubilc roads.

I'd imagine the other vehicles are flashing you because your fog lights are annoying the crap out of them. I hope the next person you give "a shot of High Beam" to isn't driving an Unmarked HWP Car! :eek: I can assure if it is, you you'll wish you hadn't done it very quickly and will find yourself being sent on your way with a fistfull of tickets. :cry:

R

Ratty

I Think Holden should have put a message in the car (sticker???) about the law's governing the fog lamps... I know I had no idea until I asked that they were illegal... Now I know and only use them in rain (mainly night rain) mist or fog... But most ppl I know are not aware that the use is against the law... education would be a good start... but then again the govt is only just begining to educate on speed etc... I have asked about 4 cops in W.A. about the lights and they have no idea... all they could tell me was that with "normal Beam" and under normal weather conditions it was agianst the law but they did not know which law... tisk tisk...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Good point about the lens designs RKZ. It makes perfect sense - I just never considered it that way.

Another thing that might help we uninformed folk would be if some of these "motoring" programs on the telly were to do a spot on it. If people were informed I'm sure we'd see a lot less of them using these lamps. I for one don't make a practice of contravening the laws - I did enough of that in my younger days! :whistling

Whilst I do enjoy being able to see better at night, I'll change my tune I think.

I suppose there would be no reason at all the "authorities" would go to any trouble to let us know - while folks aren't aware of the law they can keep pulling in that good ol' REVENUE!!

"But Constable, I wasn't aware that it's unlawful to use my fog lamps - they help me see better at night"

"Well that's bad luck sir - ignorance of the law is no excuse. Here's your ticket."

Hmmmm.... Sounds a likely scenario ....

Cheerz!

R

RKZ234

Ratty said:
I Think Holden should have put a message in the car (sticker???) about the law's governing the fog lamps... I know I had no idea until I asked that they were illegal... Now I know and only use them in rain (mainly night rain) mist or fog... But most ppl I know are not aware that the use is against the law... education would be a good start... but then again the govt is only just begining to educate on speed etc... I have asked about 4 cops in W.A. about the lights and they have no idea... all they could tell me was that with "normal Beam" and under normal weather conditions it was agianst the law but they did not know which law... tisk tisk...

I agree a section in the manual is a good idea too.

The Hwy patrol guys will know the correct regs on it. I've already quoted the WA legislation in another thread.