Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz holden commodore ls1

George51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
Hi guy first time posting I've got a 04 vz ss holden commodore ls1 gen3 6spd manual
I replaced alternator just shy of 2 yrs now I've recently started having electrical issues, dash instruments go dead at times abs fault ect.. now battery doesn't want to hold charge anymore even after replacing with new battery. Now my having to charge battery every night after work. Some days i can drop fully charged battery in drive to shop and return home stop car and try start again and battery's dead again! Has anyone else had these problems?

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
sounds like both battery and alternator are screwed,

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Alternator is probably the main fault. Couple of years ago I had the same dash faults so had the reg/rec changed in my alternator. That worked for a short time then I started getting faults again. Bought a new alternator from ebay, same part number as my Monaro's standard one, and haven't had a problem since.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the plug type of you buy an eBay alternator. Even if the seller says it fits your VZ, check the plug first. There are two types. One that is also found on VY and one that is the same as VE.