Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Holden Commodore Workshop Manual Question

auke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Excutive Wgn ex Police
Has anybody had any expierience with the CD Rom workshop manual availible from the Holden Dealership for $566.
Its called a "non-dealership workshop maual".
Does that mean it's a cut down version?? How good is it ? Is it just a parts listing or has it got actual discriptions how to disassemble and re-assemble components.? And to what depth.? I am intending to buy, but don't want to be disappointed.
Can anyone send me a screen shot so I can get a bit of an idea what I am buying.
Also If there is someone selling their vz workshop manual, I am interested
Cheers, appreciate any help I can get.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
The VZ Commodore DVD (not CD Rom) version of the workshop manual is actually titled "Holden Service and Maintenance Information DVD for:- VZ and Calais Series including MY2005 and MY 2006 WL Statesman and Caprice, including MY 2005 and MY 2006". Its Holden part number is VZ102006 (at least it was when I purchased it in July 2007.

It cost me $450.00 trade from Suttons Parts warehouse at Carter Street Lidcombe NSW. Believe me it's worth every cent as it's extremely comprehensive and is the same as the dealers use in their workshops.

The manual was developed by Infomedia, and will require that you contact them when installing it on your PC for the security key.

All instructions for disassembling, inspection, re-assembling etc are detailed more comprehensively than was ever the case in the hard-copy versions of earlier model Holden Workshop Manuals that I've ever owned and I've had Holdens all my life (I'm now 65 and retired). With each of my vehicles I've always possessed a genuine GMH Workshop Manual. That's why I have no hesitation in paying the high price asked.

You should attempt to get the parts salesman to give you trade price as I've usually found them helpful on a large money outlay.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
non dealership would be just information such as the internal holden phone numbers, service techline bulletins etc not being included in it

bobbyfoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore
I have the full CD VZ workshop manual Yup expensive hard to get need to "know" a dealer bobbyfoo!

Pete6000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra SX6 2006
I'm hoping that someone may have a copy of the Service and Maintenance DVD:
"Holden Service and Maintenance Information DVD for:- VZ and Calais Series including MY2005 and MY 2006 WL Statesman and Caprice, including MY 2005 and MY 2006", referred to by Peterrobo back in 2009.

The DVD also covers the Adventra of the series. I have an Adventra, which is why I'd like to get the DVD. Although I have the Haynes and Ellery copies of the VZ series repair manuals, these do not have the AWD specifications, components and service details.

If someone has a copy that they no longer require and would consider selling, I would be keen to know. I think that the DVD has a keycode which would need to be transferred or reactivated.

In the Advanced or Additional options I have ticked the item "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes: instantly, using email" so I will be able to respond to replies on this thread quickly, or PM me please.

Cheers, Peter

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Peter are you the same bloke looking for this manual on LS1.com?
If so, all the info is in the thread I linked and you can still buy them.

Pete6000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra SX6 2006
Hello dgp,

Thanks for responding so quickly. No I'm not the guy inquiring on LS1.com for the VZ Service Manual DVD. I am happy to pay a reasonable price for the DVD (meaning not just a slab for hours of photocopying!!!! and /or asking someone to incur/risk of a copyright infringement penalty)

I called Sutton's Warehouse today {they had sold one about Oct 2009 to Peter ("peterrobo") as in note above} and was told they were not available. Also sent email through GMH central enquiries a month or so ago and, as mentioned by Super Coach and others, I have hit the brick wall. I am happy to pay the full price from the dealer, if it's available. Am also happy to purchase 2nd hand, at a fair price, if someone has a copy that is no longer required and I can have the keycode activation transferred.

dgp, is the following quote, dated Jan 2012, from the thread that has the link you are referring to in your reply above?.. : Or is there a reference I haven't picked up yet?

--------- {Re: VZ DVD Workshop Manual
I picked up my copy yesterday and my parts guy even gave me a bit of a discount, $467.50.
For those that have asked, there is reference in the manual to the AWD setup.
When I first loaded mine, I had trouble loading the pdf reader but the people at Infomedia were very helpful and walked me through the correct configuration for my PC to get it all working.
Super Coach, thanks for the heads up on this manual, it is well worth the money in my books.} -------

Look forward to hearing more
Thanks again dgp
Cheers Peter

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Peter,

That sounds right mate, just checked the thread. When I bought mine Holden spares said no not available. I printed out all the information from SuperCoach, took it into Holden and they chased it up for me and a few days later, the disk arrived. You need to have a pretty good demenour with the parts guy though otherwise it is all too hard for him.
I find it hard to believe they are not available, perhaps try another dealer.
The manual us huge, with I think about 6000 pages, and gives you everything you need to know.
I still have my VZ Clubsport so need to keep it for now sorry.

Pete6000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra SX6 2006
Hi dgp,

So far I have contacted people/dealerships by phone and Geraldton personally, more or less "testing the water" and hoping for a favourable response. I live in a small country town in W.A., about 2 hours from Geraldton and 4 from Perth. When I came here, there was not even a tyre pump at the local cafe/fuel outlet, let alone a mechanic or service facility. As you suggest, the mild mannered personal approach to the dealership, about 60 kms away, (another small country town) may be the way to go.

I know what you mean about "good demeanour". It's hardly reasonable to expect courteous and helpful assistance from someone who is not treated in that way to begin with.

Sure understand keeping the manual you've got. Thanks for your help and responses to my comments/requests for info.

Cheers, Peter

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi dgp,

So far I have contacted people/dealerships by phone and Geraldton personally, more or less "testing the water" and hoping for a favourable response. I live in a small country town in W.A., about 2 hours from Geraldton and 4 from Perth. When I came here, there was not even a tyre pump at the local cafe/fuel outlet, let alone a mechanic or service facility. As you suggest, the mild mannered personal approach to the dealership, about 60 kms away, (another small country town) may be the way to go.

I know what you mean about "good demeanour". It's hardly reasonable to expect courteous and helpful assistance from someone who is not treated in that way to begin with.

Sure understand keeping the manual you've got. Thanks for your help and responses to my comments/requests for info.

Cheers, Peter
Maybe give shacks Holden a go. See if they will accommodate.
Even though there is a part number for the book, I dont think normally they would allow the general public to purchase the manual. Youd have to be a mate of the parts department to get a bit of leeway I would have thought.

What details are you after exactly for your Adventra?